PDA

View Full Version : Internet 'stalling' ?

08-10-2001, 08:12 PM
I would really appreciate some help from anybody with knowledge of computers who might be able to help. The problem seems to be that when I open any program that uses sound and am connected to the internet, my computer decides to stop detecting the modem. It doesn't disconnect me, but it refuses to send or receive any new data. If I disconnect and try and re-connect with the program still running, I get a message in the dialup connection box saying 'Could not detect modem......'. If I close the program and try and connect, everything works fine. I have had this problem with WinAmp, Sonique, shockwave apps, emulators. Thanks in advance.

08-10-2001, 09:15 PM
You don't have one of those combination modem/souncard devies do you? They are littered with problems (anyone remember those aweful MWave cards in IBM Aptivas?).
Otherwise, check for conflicts in device manager.

09-10-2001, 12:43 AM
I've checked for device conflicts and i haven't got any, not sure about combination sound/modem card.
Anybody know how I can check?

P.S. Thanks for the quick response

09-10-2001, 07:50 AM
If you have win 98, you can goto start/programs/accesories/system tools/system information/hardware/IRQ's

It is quite possible that the sound card and modem are trying to share the same IRQ

09-10-2001, 01:48 PM
I'm running win95, so does anybody know how I could check IRQs in '95?

P.S. Once again thanx for the quick response