PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Tell? (WiFi Question)

SurferJoe46
14-06-2011, 02:55 AM
My stepson has my WiFi access password, but even while he's asleep I can see the little blue WiFi signal light blinking.

I am on hardwire here at the mo with this unit, and I have my Eee-PC that is WiFi - but even when it's off, I can still see some traffic but only once in a while.

Can I actually see the IP of the unit that's on or attempting to get on my WiFi?

I am using WPA-2-Personal with a VERY strong password and have changed it several times - still I see traffic.

Should I be using the 802.11n settings in FIPS too?

But most of all - can I see a list of who IS on or trying to use my WiFi?

CYaBro
14-06-2011, 08:08 AM
If the wireless router is doing dhcp then there is usually a page you can view, in the web configuration of it, that will list all the computer names and the ip address that they have been assigned.
That may help if you see any names you don't recognize.

:pf1mobmini:

The Error Guy
14-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Even when your son is asleep his computer may be connected to the internet, or just talking to other computers

linw
14-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Or downloading several 4GB movies!!

SurferJoe46
14-06-2011, 02:54 PM
If the wireless router is doing dhcp then there is usually a page you can view, in the web configuration of it, that will list all the computer names and the ip address that they have been assigned.
That may help if you see any names you don't recognize.

:pf1mobmini:

Where should I look for that page?

Even when your son is asleep his computer may be connected to the internet, or just talking to other computers

Usually at night it doesn't blink much until about midnight or so and then again at 6AM. Other times he's not home and I have seen traffic action via the blinking WiFi signal light - that's what I'd like to find out.

Could it just be someone trying to get on and they are broadcasting the attempts?

Or downloading several 4GB movies!!

We don't have a cap, and I don't mind if he does dnld movies - just the quality of what he's viewing. But I trust him to be good.

chumscrubber
15-06-2011, 02:29 PM
hm, i thought that wifi router would bleep anyway, it doesn't matter your PC is turned on or not but posts above made me confused.
anyway turn off the router as you shutdown your PC and no man can access to your internet

SurferJoe46
15-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Oh - I don't care that he's on it - it's OK with me - I just want to know why I see traffic when no-one in the house or my good neighbor who coat-tails me with my permission - is on blinking or trying to GET on.

gary67
15-06-2011, 08:53 PM
yes but the router will still be broadcasting its address

pine-o-cleen
15-06-2011, 10:48 PM
It's them damn commies.