PDA

View Full Version : Best internet provider for the North Shore, Auckland?

Jellymeat
13-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I live on the North Shore in Auckland and am currently with woosh wireless. And i am sick and tired of the snail pass internet. Currently i am looking for a new provider, so that i will be able to use PSN and play online games such as Call of Duty and similar games to this. I need fast internet with low ping. I am looking for 30GB with a phone line. I am considering going with snap or trying to find VDSL2 plans. I want something not incredibly expensive, i am willing to pay up to $140.

Any opinions about which provider to go with?

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Orcon are over the shore

http://www.orcon.net.nz/

Jellymeat
13-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I have heard people having problems with them. Do you have a speedtest for them?

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I dont, I'm with telstra

inphinity
13-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Telecom - http://www.speedtest.net/result/1338908024.png

mzee
13-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I am on the Shore.
First I was with Xtra, Broadband was Ok but phone was never good.
Changed to Vodafone. Excellent phone and Broadband for two years, then the phone was off for a week and the Broadband slow.
Changed to Orcon, same story, good for a while, now phone is Ok but Broadband very erratic.

We are too far from the exchange, they plan to install a Cabinet before September.

If you are close to an exchange or cabinet go to Orcon. Their help desk is very good.

Jellymeat
13-06-2011, 08:47 PM
I call up telecom today and they couldn't tell me how far i was away for the exchange so that was very helpful. I don't want to get xtra as i know they have problems.

Jellymeat
13-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Has anyone had experience with Snap? I like the idea of free unlimited access to TVNZ OnDemand. And the $2 extra for unlimited access to Google and YouTube.

Chilling_Silence
13-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I've heard relatively good things about Snap. What sort of a data cap are you looking at? I've recently switched to HD and have been quite happy :)

Jellymeat
13-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I have heard good things about snap too. I'm looking at getting either 30GB or 40GB

linw
14-06-2011, 09:04 AM
snip. I don't want to get xtra as i know they have problems.

Like what? No one I know on xtra has these 'problems'.

Chilling_Silence
14-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Usage meter accuracy is a pretty good reason to vote with your wallet ;)

Jellymeat
14-06-2011, 09:36 AM
My mate has had heaps of outages, and there call centre is rubbish. My mate told me that he had orcon for 2+ years and never had any problems.
How is Xtra for gaming? I know that they have a good priced 40GB plan

14-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Im with Xtra, Torbay.
They cant be compared with how bad they were last year. Big improvement.
There is a minor issue with the quality of the actual lines in winter & after lots of rain, but that would be the same no matter what ISP you have.

The reason I stay with xtra/telecom, If you go with another phone/ISP provider,
you will get zero help from either if there is a line issue. They will just blame each other. Seen this happen .

Better the devil you know, some ISP's oversubscribe & their service/broadband speed then slowly goes down the toilet.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2011, 10:26 AM
A few days after I changed to Telstra, (We use Telstra for BB and phone now), the line went completely dead.

BB was OK, but you couldnt ring in or out. I had to ring them by mobile.

They were fine. They found the prob and fixed it, before the end of the day

inphinity
14-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Usage meter accuracy is a pretty good reason to vote with your wallet ;)

Yup, Telecom's usage meter, imo, is rubbish. That said, I have better reliability and performance than I did when I tried Paradise, Ihug, Telstra, or Orcon in the same location (over a number of years, though).

Chilling_Silence
14-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Better the devil you know, some ISP's oversubscribe & their service/broadband speed then slowly goes down the toilet.

This is true.

I was with Telecom on their Big Time for quite a while, and with the exception of the speeds turning to custard due to oversubscribing and crappy QoS, I was happy. Switching to a non-Big Time plan was good for a while, but I used too much to be able to justify staying with them.

Jellymeat
14-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking that i might go with Orcon and get the silver+ 40GB plan for $107 per month.
Has anyone had experience with VDSL2 or Worldnet?

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah just search for reviews on Worldnet and you'll get the general 'feel' for them pretty quick.

I'd stick with Orcon, personally :)

Jellymeat
15-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey thanks for the opinions and help much appreciated. I am going to go with Orcon as i can get 30GB plus a phone line for $70 a month.

tmrafi
16-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I have been using XNET for broadband and Telecom for phone line in Mairangi Bay area which is cabinetised for a year now. ANy line issues I call Telecom and any broadband issue I call XNET. Win-Win Scenario :)