PDA

View Full Version : Phone line connection problem.

08-10-2001, 06:11 PM
After using internet I have to disconnect phone line from wall jack otherwise ordinary phone will not work. It either gives engaged signal or line goes dead a few mintes after going off line and disconnecting. Computer firm says compter OK try Telecom. Telecom says line OK its your computer. Does modem need some resetting? as I understand I should be able to leave computer phone line plugged into phone jack permanently. Any clues please.

08-10-2001, 06:26 PM
Make sure that the modem cable is two wire reverse cable (this should have been supplied with your modem). If you have too many phones plugged in at once it may be drawing too much current from the phone system and cut out. Using a two wire cable or reducing the number of phones plugged in ensures a large current is not drawn.

Does this make sense or does anyone else have a comment about this?

08-10-2001, 07:39 PM
I've found that my modem does similar.

Sometimes it can take upto half an hour (my phones make a beep when it hangs up).

Its happen at two different houses, with different phones, and different modems (28000 real one and 56K rockwell POS). They were also on different exchanges.

It seems to come and go. I just check after I've disconnected.

08-10-2001, 09:26 PM
try another phone if possible? perhaps its the phone causing problem?

cheers steve

08-10-2001, 09:54 PM
Thank you Tristan, Your suggestion of too many phones appears to be the problem. We have three phones, one fax, and one extra bell, plus computer modem. Have unplugged extra bell, and rest all working with computer still plugged in to jackpoint. Will also follow up on modem cable. Current one appears to have four wires. Thanks to others who also responded. Jim