PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat

08-10-2001, 04:47 PM
I have a Dynalink Data/Fax/Voice 56K modem and would like to be able to voice chat over the internet chatrooms mainly under MSN Messenger. I am not too sure about the existing modem settings and do not know if I am already able to do this - how can I check or what must I do to be able to voice chat. I already have a headset (microphone and earphones) and operate Windows 98. I have previously tried voice chatting on MSN Messenger and get errors.

08-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Hello Dennis,
you dont really need a vioce modem, to use any chat programme on the net, any modem will do it, although the quicker the better.
when setting up for speech on msn, run the audio wizard, make sure that your microphone and speakers are selected, in your sound card,
(your microphone should be muted, yes muted!) set the volumes at about 1/2 on your on your microphone control, and main control. it may need more adjustment as you start talking.
Dont talk to quickly, and wait for the other person to stop talking before answering. good luck
Bob

08-10-2001, 05:32 PM
Hi Dennis

MSN Messenger does offer voice chat, but it is limited to conversation between two people at a time. MSN does not support voice chat in their chat rooms. As mentioned, you can run an Audio Setup program from within Messenger to adjust your microphone's sensitivity.

Yahoo also have an instant messenger program, which, in my opinion, offers a better featured voice program. You can chat with Yahoo using hands free, or by clicking a button to talk. The benefit of the clicking the button method is that others can see when you are about to talk and it stops everyone talking at once.

You can alo talk to more than one person at once on Yahoo, start your own chat room for invited friends only, or join an already established chat room where voice is active. In addition, a recent addition to the Yahoo messenger program is web cams - which allows you to see the other person if they have a camera with little setup necessary.

Microsoft Netmeeting is another program which also offers voice chat and webcam, however can be difficult to configure connect. Having said this though, I do find the video and voice quality on Netmeeting to be superior to Yahoo and MSN Messenger.

Try them all, see what tickles your fancy :)

GG

08-10-2001, 07:23 PM
All the voice function does is enable you to do things like record voice calls, make voice calls etc.

Your internet connection uses the data functionality.

And the fax bit is fairly obvious.

08-10-2001, 09:26 PM
Thanks people for your assistance.
I went into MSN messenger Audio Tuning Wizard - the options under 'microphone' and 'speakers' was selectable as 'Yamaha Audio (1)', 'Voice Modem Wave #00 Handset' or 'Modem Wave #00 Line'. I have tried all permutations of these and always get the error message 'It is not possible to use a microphone and speakers at the same time with the half duplex sound card you have selected. Please change your selection.' I do not know how to respond to this. Also I had my headset plugged into the rear of the sound card - to try something different I plugged the headset directly into the sockets on the modem. Same response as above. NOW WHAT CAN I DO TO SUCCESSFULLY VOICE CHAT - ONE ON ONE.

08-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Hi

From my understanding ... Half Duplex is ONE way at a time - like a CB Radio... Full duplex is BOTH ways at once - like a telephone.

As I mentioned earlier - MSN is both ways at the same time - full duplex. If you only have a half duplex sound card, then you could try Yahoo, which has the ability to allow only one person speaking at any one time - half duplex.

GG

09-10-2001, 08:49 AM
Hello Dennis,
unforntunatly, msn will not work with a half duplex sound card, however, yahoo messenger,and paltalk are some you could try. When using half duplex,the ctrl key needs to be pressed to talk, and released to listen.

09-10-2001, 08:49 AM
Hello Dennis,
unforntunatly, msn will not work with a half duplex sound card, however, yahoo messenger,and paltalk are some you could try. When using half duplex,the ctrl key needs to be pressed to talk, and released to listen.
good luck,
Bob