PDA

View Full Version : Lotus 97 to Open Office?

gradebdan
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Please do not laugh.
I have been using Lotus Smart Suite for many years
because it did everything I needed, till my son wanted to send
his CV to someone. Guess what, they couldn't open it.
I thought now is the time to change to Open Office.
All good. Transferred some files from Lotus 123 (SPREAD SHEET)
no problem. Wanted to transfer some old notes from Lotus Word Pro,
this appears as gibberish in Open Office. It seems that OO does not
recognise Word Pro but does recognise 123. Any comments appreciated.

Cato
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd go for LibreOffice (basically, OO under a new name)...

Or maybe even Lotus Symphony (free, and at the core it is basically OO), but it's still Lotus :D

mikebartnz
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd go for LibreOffice (basically, OO under a new name)...

Or maybe even Lotus Symphony (free, and at the core it is basically OO), but it's still Lotus :D
+1 for LO as it is far better at importing other file types.
As far as I know it hasn't got OO at its core. but does use the ODF file format.

You may need to export your old LSS files or save them in a different format from LSS.

wainuitech
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Sending them on LO Hmmmm (I wouldn't) -- What happens if the receiver doesn't have LO or open office, only MS office ,you would have to convert them to MS Word, lots of mucking about changing formats.

Suggestion: Send the document in PDF format --- install a PDF creator on the PC, something like Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) - Open the Lotus Smart Suite as normal, hit print, and select the PDF creator instead of your normal printer, that will create a standard PDF file that many different readers can open.

Does Lotus Smart Suite actually have the option to save in PDF -- If it does, then you wont need the PDF creator.

Not every one uses or has Open Source Software like LibreOffice and Open office.

Question: Is the potential employer going to download a program, just to read one applicants CV -- think you know the answer to that :groan:

gradebdan
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I think that the Microsoft office stuff can relate to OO, or vice versa
so think that is sufficient. Do not know that Lotus can convert to a PDF.

Cato
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Sending them on LO Hmmmm (I wouldn't) -- What happens if the receiver doesn't have LO or open office, only MS office ,you would have to convert them to MS Word, lots of mucking about changing formats.

Save as MS Office 2007 docx isn't all that difficult to do...

mikebartnz, bottom of the page: http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/products

mikebartnz
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Suggestion: Send the document in PDF format --- install a PDF creator on the PC, something like Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) - Open the Lotus Smart Suite as normal, hit print, and select the PDF creator instead of your normal printer, that will create a standard PDF file that many different readers can open.

Does Lotus Smart Suite actually have the option to save in PDF -- If it does, then you wont need the PDF creator.

Not every one uses or has Open Source Software like LibreOffice and Open office.

Question: Is the potential employer going to download a program, just to read one applicants CV -- think you know the answer to that :groan:
Don't make it sound so hard. What is so difficult about having LO save it in MS format or better still as you say send it in PDF format.
If MS would only do the ODF format properly then everyone could use that without any problems.
I had a firm send me an order form in MS's latest file format and I couldn't be bothered jumping through hoops so they lost my business.

mikebartnz
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
mikebartnz, bottom of the page: http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/products
Thank you. I stand corrected.

wainuitech
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Open office Or Lire Office can open MS office, but not every version of MS Office can open Open Document Format .

At my wifes work their IT guy wont install Open office, and several other places I do service work for I know for a fact that if someone sends them a document in OO, then they call them back and ask to have it saved in MS office format.

One place I installed open office, just for that purpose since some of their customers only use open office, and strangely enough are always complaining other companies cant open their documents .:illogical

The other option is install the Plugin (http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp)for MS office so it can open ODF files,but not everyone knows about the plug-in.

I'd personally send the CV in MS office format, its more widely used and I know if I were getting documents from applicants that cant be opened without having to install programs the delete button would be very handy.

@Mike
I had a firm send me an order form in MS's latest file format and I couldn't be bothered jumping through hoops so they lost my business. That proves my point exactly. ;)
No point in putting up barriers in todays job market.

BTW Libre Office can open MS 2010, I had to do it the other day.

mikebartnz
12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Open office Or Lire Office can open MS office, but not every version of MS Office can open Open Document Format .
Well just have LO save it in MS format.

I'd personally send the CV in MS office format, its more widely used and I know if I were getting documents from applicants that cant be opened without having to install programs the delete button would be very handy.
With a CV the person receiving it has no need to edit it so PDF is the most sensible then you know it will print out exactly as you want it.

@Mike That proves my point exactly. ;)
No point in putting up barriers in todays job market.

BTW Libre Office can open MS 2010, I had to do it the other day.
Not quite sure what you mean there about barriers.
The occasion with the order form was a few years ago when I was still on dialup.

wainuitech
13-06-2011, 09:06 AM
With a CV the person receiving it has no need to edit it so PDF is the most sensible then you know it will print out exactly as you want it.

Not quite sure what you mean there about barriers.
The occasion with the order form was a few years ago when I was still on dialup. When referring to "barriers", I was meaning if someone had sent in a CV to a potential employer ,and having one persons that they cant open because it may be in a different format, the employer would more than likely simply dump it.

The job market is tight as we all know, and sending in documents that cant be opened without having to download and install additional programs wouldn't be of any advantage to the person applying for the job.

Thats why I mentioned PDF - many programs will open it. :)

gary67
13-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Did you notice that plugin costs $90 US?

wainuitech
13-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Errrr No :eek: Maybe that's why people dont use it -- Thanks for pointing that out :)

gradebdan
13-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks all for your input. My important files were in Lotus 123
Which I was able to send to OO. Where my son is now they
have MS Office so there shouldn't be any more problems.

gary67
13-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Good the hear you solved the issue

mikebartnz
13-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Did you notice that plugin costs $90 US?
You wouldn't want to know about it then.:eek:

Lurking
15-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Please do not laugh.
I have been using Lotus Smart Suite for many years
because it did everything I needed, till my son wanted to send
his CV to someone. Guess what, they couldn't open it.
I thought now is the time to change to Open Office.
All good. Transferred some files from Lotus 123 (SPREAD SHEET)
no problem. Wanted to transfer some old notes from Lotus Word Pro,
this appears as gibberish in Open Office. It seems that OO does not
recognise Word Pro but does recognise 123. Any comments appreciated.

gradebdan, see attached.

Came out on Monday's wardrobe crash.

Lurking.

Ps. Daughter used to use in days gone by.

lurks.

Lurking
15-06-2011, 06:35 PM
gradebdan, sorry can't read that either, try again.

Lurking.

bot
15-06-2011, 06:41 PM
You could always try this (http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Web_0_0x2e_1.aspx) :D

gary67
15-06-2011, 08:56 PM
You wouldn't want to know about it then.:eek:

Not at that price no. Wife got sent a document this week in MSworks I think it was a .wps anyway Office 2010 would open it so she sent it back

mikebartnz
15-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Not at that price no. Wife got sent a document this week in MSworks I think it was a .wps anyway Office 2010 would open it so she sent it back
It always amused me with MSWorks as to how few programs would open the documents.

johnd
15-06-2011, 10:54 PM
As far as I know it hasn't got OO at its core. but does use the ODF file format.
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice - so at the exact point of the fork it was a copy of OO. As time goes on, the two will diverge. The first release does not have many big differences.

mikebartnz
15-06-2011, 11:25 PM
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice - so at the exact point of the fork it was a copy of OO. As time goes on, the two will diverge. The first release does not have many big differences.
Go back and read things in sequence. We weren't talking about LO and you weren't telling me anything I didn't know.

johnd
15-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Go back and read things in sequence. We weren't talking about LO and you weren't telling me anything I didn't know.
Apologies - I did read that one too fast!

Greven
15-06-2011, 11:48 PM
It amazes me the amount of people I come across who refuse to ditch MS works even if they also have MS office & I offer to convert their works documents. I have had a works install CD handed to me several times while setting up new PCs for various clients.

One of my clients took over the business from her parents a couple of years ago & they did everything in MS Works format. I gave a price for MS Office & it was too expensive, so I installed OpenOffice & converted the few spreadsheets she actually used. The customer kept using Works anyway & every 3 months would ask for a price on MS Office then go back to Works. Finally got her to upgrade a couple of months ago.

waldok
16-06-2011, 02:40 AM
I know the problem is solved, but just in case it's useful in the future there is a free ODF plug-in for MS Office here:
http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/download.html

I last checked it out at about version 2.0 and it was pretty good then, I see they're up to 4.0 now. I haven't found a need to use it since MS Office 2007 SP2 added native support for ODF.

I think the plug-in works with MS Office versions back to XP and 2003, and it was originally sponsored by Microsoft. It's also possible to open .docx in those older MS Office versions if the free compatibility pack (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-2007-file-formats-HA010168676.aspx) is installed.

As for Lotus SmartSuite, I used that too back in the day! :thumbs: It had the most floppy disks of any single program, last time I tried to install it I think disk 14 of 30 or so had corrupted.

Cheers
W

mikebartnz
16-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I haven't found a need to use it since MS Office 2007 SP2 added native support for ODF.
The only trouble is that it doesn't do spreadsheets properly

wainuitech
16-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Just a reverse ---- I tried LO to open a job sheet that I use daily in Word -- What a mess,:groan: the formatting was completely wrong, the majority of the text was all over the place or non existent, in fact the boxes that I fill in the customers details were completely empty, and off the side of the page.

The original was made in Office 2003, and all it is is a simple word document with a few text boxes.

Lurking
16-06-2011, 07:51 PM
As for Lotus SmartSuite, I used that too back in the day! :thumbs: It had the most floppy disks of any single program, last time I tried to install it I think disk 14 of 30 or so had corrupted.

Cheers
W

This box set has just the one CD ! for the 6 programs.

Lurking.