PDA

View Full Version : Publish website via FTP

w000t
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I am trying to publish a website for my sister. She had a previous setup made for her that was Joomla, but i decided to start from scratch and build a new html based website. To publish this website, all I should have to do is have the index.html page first in the directory structure right?

It is like

-- index.html
about.html
etc etc

---- images
heading.png

so in the FTP there is just the html documents and then another folder containing images. When going to the website via web browser i get a 404 error saying forbidden.

Can anyone help me publish this website?
Thanks

Snorkbox
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
On most servers you need to publish to the folder public_html rather than the root. Who is hosting the site?

w000t
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
It is just a local company.

I put the folders and files into a new directory called public_html but still an error. hmmm

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Publish+website+via+FTP&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Greven
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Can you get to it by using the full path (domain/index.html)?

w000t
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I can view the website if I go

ftp://username@www.xxxxxx.co.nz/index.html

After I have logged into the FTP via web browser.

But if i go to www.xxxxxx.co.nz/index.html I get

Not Found

The requested URL /index.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am using FileZilla to upload files to the FTP.

coldot
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
If you PM me with the web address I'll have a look to see if there's anything there.

dpDesignz
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
hey if you haven't sorted this out yet, PM me and I'll take a look at it for you

Hydroksyde
12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Take a look which directories are within your root folder, after you FTP in. You might need to place the files within one of those. Maybe contact the web host and ask where the files need to be?

Also note that index.html is a common default page, but this is not necessarily true on every server. Based on getting a 404 error page when you type domain/index.html though suggests you're not putting the files in the right place.

mzee
13-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Usually "public_html" is the folder where all your files go, your home page being "index.html", and your images etc go into sub-folders. Any folders etc in the Root are for the server administration and should not be altered.

Your provider issues you with a User name & Password for FTP access.
I use FTP-95, came out with Windows 95, easy to use and runs on any Windows 32bit system.

Hydroksyde
13-06-2011, 11:10 AM
by root I meant the user's home directory, that they get when they log in to the server. Sorry, I used the wrong word.

What I was suggesting was as the user had no public_html directory initially, the server may have been configured differently, and to try one of the other directories initially created within the user's account