PDA

View Full Version : Wireless turns off when opening certain webpages

paulf214
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I have had a problem for the last few weeks, in that almost every time I try to access certain websites, my wirless adaptor turns off.

I used to use 'Yahoo' as my homepage, but have had to change it because Yahoo is one of the websites that causes my wireless adaptor to switch of.

I now use Google.co.uk as my homepage, as that does NOT cause a problem. I can log on to the internet, and browse for many, many hours, without a single problem, provided I avoid the pages that I have found cause problems. In fact, I have browsed for nearly 8 hours today already, without a problem (I am a genealogical researcher) but just wanted to look at the news so I clicked on Yahoo without thinking, and....OOOOPS

Yahoo is one of the sites that causes the problem. If I try to access uk.yahoo.com, the page starts to load correctly. The progress bar reaches about 95% of the way along, with a message 'waiting for lyimg.com' (or something like that) when suddenly I am told my wireless adaptor has stopped working. I can restart it with 'troubleshoot', but if I try to visit Yahoo again, the same thing happens. I can log onto Google, and return to my usual haunts, no problem whatsoever.

It seems to be sites with lots of things going on, like adverts loading and java script etc. that cause the problem.

My PC is an ACER Aspire M3910, Core i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz, with 3.00 GB ram, running Windows 7 64 bit.

I am very confused, as whilst my PC tells me the wireless adaptor is the problem, my grandson is happily using my laptop without problems, and he can access Yahoo without problems. At the same time my iPod and iPhone work fine, yet my PC tells me the wireless adaptor is turned off.

My PC wireless interface is a Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wirelss Lan (Mini) PCI-NIC . I use the Virgin Media 30 Gb cable system as my ISP.

I am sorry to say I am not a computer whizz, I am an old age pensioner who tries his best!!

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
As you've said here

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/822148

The prob is with firefox (you didnt say it was in this post). So, other browsers work then? Did you try uninstalling FF, deleting its folders, then reinstalling the latest version of FF 4? FF4 does have a lot of probs (dont know about wireless, I dont use wireless)

mikebartnz
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
As you've said here

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/822148

The prob is with firefox (you didnt say it was in this post). So, other browsers work then? Did you try uninstalling FF, deleting its folders, then reinstalling the latest version of FF 4? FF4 does have a lot of probs (dont know about wireless, I dont use wireless)
He did say it was a problem in his previous version in that post that only started a couple of weeks before and that was why he upgraded.. I suspect it is malware of some sort.
What security systems are you running on the PC. Windows Security Essentials seems to get most peoples blessing here as well as Spybot and MalwareBytes.
Just a thought I wonder if the problem may be something to do with some sites moving to IPv6.

Agent_24
12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
It might still be a WiFi issue, Firefox might just be the only thing to cause it. It might be overloading it and causing a disconnect or something.

I would try to find a new driver for the WiFi, outdated drivers can be problematic.

linw
14-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes, definitely try a driver update.