PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Router issues



hkingsbury
10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Hey

I have two computers that I want to be able to connect to each other over wireless (both are running win7 ultimate) One of them is a desktop (x64) with a wireless card and the other is a laptop (x32) the problem is that over the wireless network from the telecom router (Thomson TG585v8 running Software Release:8.2.7.7) neither of the computers can see each other. When I ping the desktop from the laptop, and vice versa the connection simply times out. I know its not a problem with either of the computers as I have borrowed a friends router and used that and the computers could see each other perfectly.
If anyone could please shed some light on this, it would be wonderful.

Thanks :)

Edit: I don't particulary want to get telecom involved with this as our last problem (setting up the ADSL connection in the first place) took many phone calls (one being on hold for well over an hour) over a month of waiting and three useless tech visits

Growly
11-06-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm not sure about those routers in particular, but some access points have an isolation feature whereby local machines connected to the same ESSID are disallowed from communication with each other. I would've first suggested firewalls on both clients but you say that they work as is with another router in place, so I would first look for such a feature and disable it. Disclaimer: I put the TG585v8 we got back in the box as soon as we got it.

wainuitech
11-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Since you have tried it with another router and it works, I'd suggest you try this;

On your router, disable all wireless security, see if it connects.

Have they ever been able to talk to one another and Assume they are connecting to the internet individually ?

Also may pay to read Read the Manual (http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7063) - its a PDF, suggest looking at page 23

hkingsbury
11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
On your router, disable all wireless security, see if it connects.


Did that, and it works! But unfortunately i don't want to have an unsecured network...

hkingsbury
11-06-2011, 12:48 PM
fixed that by changing encryption to wpa2 opposed to wpa+wpa2.
Thank you very much!

wainuitech
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Disabling the Security is only a test to make sure nothing is blocking the connections (should have mentioned that before sorry)-- what you now do, is put the security back on, as low as it will go, then try the connection - you keep increasing it, till it gets to a point of losing the connection again, then go back one stage.

Edited: Sweet:thumbs: - working again