PDA

View Full Version : Help with VOIP?

Deimos
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I posted earlier but I didn't really ask for help as I thought my problem was solved.

I have netgear routers (FVS318G) with a VPN tunnel setup to our office, and a bunch of Linksys ATAs connected to 2talk for our phones.

Every now and then the ATAs will fail to register, even if I do a hard reset of all the equipment the ATAs will not register, but if I change ports they come back up, so I'm having to change ports every few days, its starting to annoy.

The ATAs have static IPs, I have tried port forwarding the SIP ports to the ATAs but it made no difference.

I'm going to try putting them in to my DMZ and port forward from the DSL router to see if it helps but I don't really want to do that because the netgear routers allow me to shape traffic and prioritize the VOIP traffic.

Google is no help sadly.

Deimos
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, I should probably mention that I have a bandwidth profile set up just for the phones, I have set a minimum of 128kb/s reserved for the phones.

Also, on the outbound firewall rule (which you have to setup for the bandwidth profile) I set QOS priority to minimise delay.

razzarphenix
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Try increasing the UDP timeout which is under "session limit" apparently.

Also play around with the SIP ALG setting and see if that makes a difference.

Deimos
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Also play around with the SIP ALG setting and see if that makes a difference.

Don't ever mess with this setting, once enabled on the netgear it pretty much only allows one sip client (and my ATAs have 2 phones each).

A friend has recommended bridging my DSL modem to the wan port on the netgear because apparently VOIP hates double NAT.

I'm going to give it a go.

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah it doesn't always like dobule-NAT. That, and this sounds like some kind of state table issue.

Problem is, is the issue with those Netgears or your routers?

What broadband modem are you using at both ends?

razzarphenix
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't ever mess with this setting, once enabled on the netgear it pretty much only allows one sip client (and my ATAs have 2 phones each).

Which is why I usually disable it regardless of the router and rely on stun but they always seem to ship routers with ALG = on.

Deimos
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah it doesn't always like dobule-NAT. That, and this sounds like some kind of state table issue.

Problem is, is the issue with those Netgears or your routers?

What broadband modem are you using at both ends?

I'm pretty certain that it isn't the DSL routers, I'm was running Draytek routers on both sites but I was having issues with my one at home hard locking so I swapped it out for a 3com I had lying around and the same thing happened (hard locked, and the phones dropped out during the day).

It turns out that the Netgears are useless POSs, the one at home was causing the draytek to lockup, and when I tried to bridge the dsl to the netgear my DL speed dropped to 2-2.5mb/s! (my internet connection is 18mb/s) and if anyone tries to download something the internet for everyone else becomes unusable (even though I have bandwidth shaping).

Its pathetic, I'm going to stick these things on trademe.

I've decided to build my own routers, what I'm going to do is upgrade my office PC to an i3 and use the old C2D system to build one, and I have another C2D system just sitting in the garage.

I'm going to run pfsense, I just need to find another NIC for the office router.

The specs will be:
C2D E6600 and E8600
Asus motherboards with onboard NIC and video
2GB ram each
8GB Kingston SSDNow each
Silverstone 400-500W PSUs

Its way overkill for what we need, but I should be able to keep the cost of the whole project under $500, as long as the on board NICs work with pfsense...

Chilling_Silence
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
For that price why not get something like an Alix System from pcengines.ch, or nicegear.co.nz sell them locally.