PDA

View Full Version : tcp/ip

08-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell why when I try to connect to a tcp/ip host my program freezes and I have to ctrl/alt/del,however when I act as host there is
no problem.
Before I changed to adsl jetstart from 56k modem tcp/ip connection worked both ways.
win98
ie6 had same problem with ie5
nvidea 32mb tnt2 video
nokia i200 adsl modem

> > Regards Gramps

08-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Try connecting to a host by the numeric address, not the name. You probably have your ISP's address somewhere. If that works, you have lost the address of your DNS server. It should time out and tell you that it can't find a DNS server.

08-10-2001, 06:30 PM
Thanks for replying but that is not it as I have to connect using the numeric address

Gramps

08-10-2001, 07:38 PM
I would have a guess at saying that the problem lies with the ADSL modem in particular the nat.

What is a NAT I here you say ?

'A Network Address Translator allows one externally visible IP address to be shared among many computers. The device or application takes a computer's internal IP and converts it to the external IP when sending data to the Internet, and then when data is received from the Internet for that computer, it translates the external IP to the internal IP so that it can be routed to the correct computer.'

In some cases, your NAT will not be automatically configured to correctly. Since this is the case the specific steps required to get your program working with a NAT depend largely on the type of hardware you're using. For that reason, it is recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the modem/ or program you are using for specific instructions for configuring your NAT to work.

Note this general rule would also apply for a proxy setup or, Internet connection sharing, or firewall.

Jess