PDA

View Full Version : Installing WinXP from Image

learning
09-06-2011, 08:03 AM
I need to install Win XP from a image file i was given (done using Win PE). I burned the ISO to CD and now booting up with it, it gives dos prompt to start making executions using commands/switches.

Is there a good simple website that describes how to install OS from images?

Thanks

pctek
09-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Which image program was it made with?

wainuitech
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
If the image was made to use WinPE, then it more than likely would have been made using imageX.

ImageX should be included, its ImageX that will install the OS, which will actually be a .WIM file.

I've done it with Windows 7 using an automated file , and dragged the image from one of my servers over the LAN and it worked fine, never tried it in XP though.

Have a read through These instructions (http://xpefiles.com/cs/blogs/bcombs/archive/2007/08/21/howto-using-windows-pe-2-0-and-image-x-to-deploy-windows-xp-embedded.aspx), scroll down to just above the comments there are the commands to try.

OR if you cant be bothered reading the whole page: :p
Image the local disk on the device with the XP Embedded runtime image
1. From Windows PE use diskpart and format to prepare the local hard disk for the runtime image. From the command prompt in Windows PE type:
diskpart
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary size=1024
select partition 1
active
exit
format c: /fs:ntfs /y /v:XPe2.

Use ImageX to image the hard drive.
D:\imagex.exe /apply d:\xpe.wim 1 c:For this line "create partition primary size=1024" you should be able to put in the actual size of the partition you want.I have the full instructions somewhere onmy server, just have to locate them. But they are in the Windows Automated Installation Kit that will have been used to create the image.

wainuitech
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Just adding to the above, the meaning of the commands to install Via imageX

imagex /apply d:\images\c_drive.wim 1 c:\

d means your Optical Drive - C means the C drive, c_drive.wim is the name of your actual image, it wont be called c_drive, so you have to know what the .wim file is actually called. It could be anything, and you have to know what it is other wise the command wont know what to install.

Example, could be "myXP.wim"

Mine for example, see attachment. Also Heres a plain English article (http://oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/2007/04/03/pc-deployment-with-imagex.html)

wainuitech
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Just tried it with WinPE and XP -- Not to bad, less than 4 minutes from start to finish from a blank drive to XP first booting. (excluding making the imagefile) The image file was put onto a USB drive as a storage location.

What is the exact Command you are at ?????

The default WinPE command is X:\windows\system32>

If you have that, type in DIR (press enter) look to see if there is a <Somename>.wim & imagex.exe file in the list.

If there is, then I can give the full list of commands from start to finish.

wainuitech
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Slight Bo-Bo in the above, if you are in the prompt X:\windows\system32>

type in d: (press enter) first, then DIR. ( sorry about that)