PDA

View Full Version : Housetruck Wifi repeater?

personthingy
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi all.
I live in a housetruck.
I use a netbook that being pig lazy is usually in bed with me when i'm not working. Interweb connection is care of a pocket wifi device living near the door and gives me interweb when i'm in the "cheap" 2 degrees zone, which much of Christchurch is. All is well and good till i'm not in Chch and i try to connect to someone else's wifi connection, where upon the joys of living in a steel and aluminium box become apparent. At the moment i'm hooked onto the wifi at the building i own, but this only works in the small bed above the cab, i suspect because of the high wooden floor here.

So i figure what i need is some sort of external aerial and some sort of repeater or at the very worst, a cable to my laptop. Power here is of course 12 volt.

Any suggestions?

Agent_24
09-06-2011, 02:01 AM
You probably don't need a repeater, just an external antenna to get around the signal blocking box

Burnzee
09-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Hi Agent 24

Grab your wok's lid. Make a hole in the centre. Buy one THESE (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=YN8304&CATID=20&form=CAT&SUBCATID=840). Epoxy it into the centre of your lid. Now run the longest usb lead you can find from the adaptor to usb input on your lappie. Experiment with best position to mount it.

For this and many other great ideas goto HERE (http://www.instructables.com/).

BURNZEE

personthingy
09-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I like the idea of a wok lid / parabolic dish, although being in Christchurch usually, there is no shortage of slightly battered parabolic dishes that no longer have buildings to attach to. :) So there is probably no need to dig up my poor wok lid, although it would look cool!

Neither my pocket wifi device nor my net-book have a connection or external aerial, also i'm trying to avoid things that physically connect to my net-book other than power in and audio out, plus i do have guests who use the interweb as well.

mmmm thinking this through, when in borderline 2 degree reception, say Teddington, the wok lid and the pocket wifi device could work well on a stick outside Esmarelda (my truck) with some sort of repeater so things work well inside the tin box as well.

ubergeek85
09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
If you're feeling adventurous, I've seen one person make up an odd looking antenna (looks sort of like a figure-8, only with two squares) and put it on the LNB arm of an old sky dish. Might be a tad directional though!

What about getting a cheapo, dual antenna router, and set it up in repeater mode, with one antenna outside, one in, and just connect the lappie to that? Only hassle would be when you have to connect to a different WLAN, might have to bust out the ethernet cable if it turns to custard.

Agent_24
27-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't know if you found an answer yet but one of these might work great:

http://rokland.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=356&osCsid=646d8efdb0e99a2d113dbf9ac3d1cf2d

personthingy
27-06-2011, 08:59 PM
i'm just watching a repeater on trademe at the moment, but this external antenna could finish the picture......

personthingy
27-06-2011, 09:02 PM
there's no where on the net book for an external antenna to connect, so i do need a repeater, besides i want to keep it a netbook that doesn't need lots of wires.

Agent_24
27-06-2011, 09:22 PM
You could use a USB WiFi adapter with ability for an external antenna, use it only when you need it of course, otherwise use the in-built WiFi...

But if that's too annoying that one I linked to might still be useful to hook up to the repeater device, maybe.