PDA

View Full Version : PC vs xbox

lostsoul62
08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
What is so good about the xbox that I have to spend $400 vs my PC?

GameJunkie
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
you dont have to keep upgrading it to play the latest games

gary67
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Red ring of death not available on PC

pctek
08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I give up. What is so good about? Xboxs do have to be upgraded - it's called buying the new one.

MAC_H8ER
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
if you don't buy a console and stick with your PC you can sleep soundly knowing that you aren't contributing to the consolisation of awesome games that get ported in a last minute rush to PC that always turns to rubbish making the PC port a steaming pile of urgh

8ftmetalhaed
08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I love my xbox. I love my pc.
Xbox = good fun gaming on a little white controller while in bed for hours at a time.
PC = good fun gaming on a keyboard and mouse while in a chair for hours at a time (with get ups in the middle because my back gets sore)

I do think this whole consolisation of games is a bit stupid though. I mean, there's types of games you can play on PC and there's types of games you can play on consoles. You shouldn't really mix them, because they'll generally fall down on at least one of the platforms as a result.

pablo d
08-06-2011, 04:29 PM
turn on.

insert disc.

wiggle sticks and push buttonz.

icow
08-06-2011, 06:56 PM
xbox games tend to be never as good as pc games. PC games generally have more stuff in them.

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Like what

The Error Guy
08-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Xbox and PC are both alike in pretty much every respect to the gameplay, differences are in the price, picture quality and what you use to control.

Xbox generally comes out cheaper because it comes with the controller and hardware. All you need is a TV, better picture quality comes with better screens BUT it is limited. The current 360 generations are falling a bit behind with the gloss and awe of the next gen games.

PC, a bit more expensive but the full imersion is the real play off. By being able to upgrade hardware and adjust settings you get the full depth not avaliable on the 360. But you need a decent computer that needs upgrading to keep playing at the top of the line levels, of course you can trim the settings down but its more fun to upgrae :D

With a PC you also need good hardware to play with, eg mouse and keyboard as well as a nice screen.

So an xbox is a cheaper low maintenance system for games with mates, more of a sit-in-a-bean-bag-and-jam type. It can get pretty compeditive online (which you have to pay for) but PC's are highly realistic epic machines of war. Not so great for inviting the mates around for a game though.

Both are great, use them all the time when with mates :D

8ftmetalhaed
08-06-2011, 08:23 PM
In the case of Oblivion and Source games - Console, modding potential.

It's the kind of fun you just can't have but oh so want (in some cases, anyway.)

ubergeek85
08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Both have their pros and cons.

Consoles usually have much less intrusive DRM, less hassle with patches, much more lounge-friendly style of gaming, but they suck at FPS's.

PCs can run the latest and greatest, depending on the type of game, a keyboard and mouse might be a better control interface, but you have to put in top dollar for a serious rig, and DRM can drive a man to drink.

All in all, I guess it comes down to your preferred style of gameplay.

Deimos
08-06-2011, 11:54 PM
x-box controller plugged in to a PC will get you the same gaming experience (in terms of controls) in a lot of cases, and there are plenty of games now which pick it up too, no need to piss about with remapping buttons etc...

Agent_24
09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Just look up why Microsoft killed multi-platform multiplayer between 360 and PC, says it all.

pctek
09-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Like what

Better graphics. Assuming it wasn't a nasty console port.

Gobe1
09-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Console probably better for racing due to the controller and wheels, but you can put these on a pc, thats about it. FPS crap on console without mouse, little punks kick your arse. console crap for other types of games (except for the odd exception little big planet for example)
PC does these better but pricier to do it

EDIT: Console games are more expensive also especially new releases ie $130 for PS3 or $99 for PC

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Better graphics. Assuming it wasn't a nasty console port.

Depends what you've plugged it into I suppose (a TV or you use HDMI), on how good the graphics are.

I use it on this monitor (which has HDMI). Its a lot better / clearer / detailed than the TV (it looks too small and too dark / washed out , compared to the monitor)

dugimodo
09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
It's just a matter of preference and gaming style. I prefer to play fighting, driving, paltform style games on a console but for FPS, RTS, RPG games I much prefer a pc.

My XBOX was stolen last year and I have hardly missed it.

You could get a wireless controller for a pc and set it up in the lounge to get pretty much the same experience as a console, but for a lot more money.

PC:
Upgradeable
Flexible
More / faster storage options
wider range of uses.
New games are constantly needing better hardware so it can be expensive to maintain.

XBOX / PS3
No OS problems
No Hardware compatibility issues
No need to understand how to install anything etc
Much bigger range of games - like it or not the console market is huge compared to the pc one so of course developers favour it.
cheaper
Limited to the original hardware for the life of the product
not very good for tasks other than gaming

Agent_24
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Console market is only huge until someone brings out a modchip.

And why would I want to pay $130 for a game on a PS3 so I could play it on a contoller and suck at it?

I think I'd rather pay less for the game and play it with a mouse.

Downside to consoles (everything before 360 and PS3) if there was a bug you can't fix it, and now, the fact there are so many updates for games shows just how buggy things can be, so the idea that there is a lack of issues with console games is just delusional.

Goes back to trying to make a custom cartridge for his SMS II

Metla
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I haven't fired up my xbox in months.

I prefer my PC because it does a trillion other things as well.

And FPS are horrible with a gamepad.

pctek
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
PC:

New games are constantly needing better hardware so it can be expensive to maintain.

yes, it's a plus. If the games industry didn't drive the hardware market we'd all still be playing Pong.

Greven
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
I love all the XBLA games I have on my xbox - they either aren't available on PC or aren't as good.

waldok
09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I love Xbox and PC, they each have their place.

For me the Xbox highlights are XBLA (the Arcade) mentioned by Greven. I spend far more time on the Arcade games like Braid, Limbo, N+, Pac-Man CE, Plants v Zombies, and Pinball than on full titles. I like the fact it's a bit more social, being in the living room on a couch with a big screen. And then there's Kinect which still feels like science fiction come to life.

But it would never replace a PC even for gaming. IMHO it's nice to have "as well", if you feel it will fit your lifestyle.

cheers
W

Greven
09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Everyone doubts N+ until they play it. Coop is awesome