PDA

View Full Version : No network

gary67
08-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Just turned SWMBO's computer on this morning, sits next to mine. I have internet and she doesn't.

tried changing cables, tried bypassing the switch and plugging into the wall just refuses to connect to either the internet or our network. Computers are identical spec except she is on XP and i'm on Win7.

Going to try a PCI network card once she has gone to work

wainuitech
08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Try going into the network connections, right click the Connection / Disable, then re enable it again.

Aslo look under device manager, make sure its showing there.

gary67
08-06-2011, 09:38 AM
First things I did, shows fine in device manager and trying to get it to enable doesn't work

Paul Ramon
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Go into device manager, delete the network adapter then also in device manager rescan for hardware to reinstall.

gary67
08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
It will work if I plug it directly into the wall now but won't work through my combined print server switch, my computer does though and it's not the cables

wainuitech
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
What happens if you disconnect your PC and only have the other one running through the switch ?

Could be the switch playing up with the additional load.

gary67
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
No change, but as soon as I plug her machine back into the wall away we go. It simply refuses to talk to the switch anymore.

Off downstairs to find a PCI NIC.

Well putting in a separate NIC seems to have fixed it. So from what I can work out the onboard LAN is stuffed