PDA

View Full Version : Back up blues

Niko_Ghost
08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
I recently did an entire backup on my business machine using a Seagate Free agent drive.....well C: drive died, I've put in a new HD, laoded OS, but the free agent says it can't find a backup, new drive is named same as old.... seagate seems to have no help for me..... Is there a bootable disk that will jump to the free agent??/?
any ideas?

CliveM
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Is your Free agent drive attached via USB? Does it appear in Windows Explorer? Have you reinstalled the drivers after reinstalling the OS?

wainuitech
08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Can you attach the drive to another PC, and look to see if the backup is actually on the Free Agent drive ?

When you made the backup first, was it checked to make sure it had actually worked ?

Where you wrote
I've put in a new HD, laoded OS Did you have to manually install another OS ?

If you did then all you had done is backed up your data, instead you should have created an image of the drive. That will have loaded back the OS, all your programs and data.

Edited: Seems its a common problem as well, it looks like its meant to be backing up, but recovering is another matter. Had a look at the segate forum, SECOND REPLY on this page may help (http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/FreeAgent-Desk-External-Drive-Restore-No-Restore-Option-in/td-p/27401/page/2)

Niko_Ghost
08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Manually installed OS....Seagate software says there are no back-ups....but when I access the drive I see the files....and yes....plugged the free agent into 2 diff machines....backup IS there....just can't get it to pop

wainuitech
08-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Thats good, at least its half done its job.

Seems the software for doing the backup is rubbish - as per that link in my last post, LOTS of people are having the exact same problem.

The solution : "Simply drag and drop your data from there, back onto your computer."

I'd be using a more reliable backup software than the Seagate, one that actually works. The drive is fine.

Along with doing a full drive image, that way if anything happens you can put back the image, which will contain the OS, programs and all data at the time on the image.

SolMiester
08-06-2011, 11:50 AM
What O/s are you using, Windows 7 has a build in imaging program, you can use that with the free agent drive...

smithie 38
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Sol.
Does Vista have a built in imaging program, we can use with the free agent drive?

SolMiester
08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Sol.
Does Vista have a built in imaging program, we can use with the free agent drive?

No, sorry mate!

Deimos
10-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Sol - YES IT DOES

Vista has a similar backup solution to Windows 7, not quite as good, but still pretty good, does a backup to a VHD just like Windows 7 and not too difficult to restore either.

mzee
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I have used Seagate free agent for several years and never had any joy with the software. Wiped the lot ages ago. The drive has been very good using other software.

SolMiester
13-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Sol - YES IT DOES

Vista has a similar backup solution to Windows 7, not quite as good, but still pretty good, does a backup to a VHD just like Windows 7 and not too difficult to restore either.

Oops, really?...imaging?...okay, good to know!