PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Machine hanging while installing new drivers?

08-10-2001, 12:34 PM
I recently had a problem installing new drivers for my ASUS video card. Initially, Windows Milennium tried to update my Driver Installation Database, but did so incredibly slowly. Then it couldn't do it at all, and hung the machine.

Judicious trolling of the Compaq (it's a Presario) and Microsoft help databases didn't provide any information, so I seriously considered a total wipe, and clean install.

One last 'general' search of the Microsoft Knowledgebase came up with an obscure reference to '0kb OEMxxx.inf' files in the /inf directory of the windows install. It suggested that these could be deleted if there were problems with driver update. On checking, I found that I had 32767 of these files in the directory. It took me 50 minutes to delete all of them, but it worked!.. I could then update my drivers.

Apparently, when you update drivers while having software monitoring tools loaded (like Nortons etc.), some files and directories can become locked. Microsoft will create these OEMxxx.inf files instead, but doesn't clean them up. Looks like another area to keep clean on startup!

08-10-2001, 07:28 PM
I'll have to check out the inf folder on my computer.