PDA

View Full Version : Updating Windows

08-10-2001, 12:07 PM
Hi, an easy question I hope, I am about to update a friends computer running Win95 to Win 98, what is the easiest way to do this and do I have to remove Win95 first or do I just insert the Win98 cd first and will it automatically over ride Win95 any help will be appreciated.

08-10-2001, 12:26 PM
Pop the Win98 CD in and the setup program should autorun. This is the easiest way and will import all previous user setting. However it will also carry along with it all the garbage of previous installs.

If you are happy to do a bit more work or currently have a very unstable system then it might be better to do a fresh install. To to this backup all important files and user data. Restart the computer using a boot disk (make sure you have drivers for CD support first), format the hard disk and run the install from the CD.

08-10-2001, 02:21 PM
The most important files I think are address book and favourites (export).

I reckon clean install would be best, just takes a little more time(use fdisk if you want to change partition), if you have a CD writer you could temporarily plug into there CDROM IDE and copy a lot more files than a floppy, nearly the whole hard drive(since it is running 95).

Remeber to run update after installing any OS in win98: Start/setting/update, 'product updates'.

08-10-2001, 07:52 PM
If possible do a clean install.

I've been thru the upgrades before and it will come back and bite you later, even over recent installs.