PDA

View Full Version : Which AP setup

WayneMiddy
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi all, i have been asked to look into a wireless system for a small school 8 classrooms & a hall they already have ethernet prewired back to a file server at the office and connected to the classrooms not sure on the hall approx 50 to 60 laptops.
Questions:
Use a numer of AP's at different locations set to different channels.
Or 1 AP and a number of repeaters.
Or something different.
Which AP would you guy recommend?
Cheers Wayne

AvonBill
06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Ruckus wireless solutions have a good name and are used in many schools in NZ. We are currently investigating it for our local primary school which is currently kitted out with consumer grade access points that leave a lot to be desired.

WayneMiddy
08-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks AvonBill i have looked into Ruckus at $1300 an AP and $1600 for the controler and needing up to 5 AP's it may exceed there budget. I supose if you want to run 30 to 40 laptops at the same time then they will need some above average gear.Cheers Wayne

Alex B
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah don't go putting consumer grade gear at all, you're asking for problems. Maybe talk to gowifi.co.nz and see what they recommend.

Greven
08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.gowifi.co.nz/engenius-networks/engenius-ecb9500-802.11b/g/n-wireless-multifunction-access-point.html
I used 3 of these for a country school I look after. I initially only had 2 & it covered everywhere except the hall (damn wifi blocking aluminium panel) so I installed a 3rd one in the hall & turned down the output power.

None of the schools I look after have the spare cash to go to an enterprise system like Ruckus, so they make do with consumer gear. Engenius seems to be a lot better than the standard consumer brands, but still affordable.

berryb
08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Those engenius have a good range and have a gigabyte connection. I have also tested these Ubiquiti http://www.gowifi.co.nz/access-points-802.11/ubiquiti-unifi-802.11n-ap.html also N but at this stage only 100 megabytes. Install the management software, configure and plug device into network. Tell the software to find the AP's and they automatically scan for best chanel and load the config settings and it's away. I believe these are trying to go up against the Ruckus gear.

WayneMiddy
08-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys how will the above gear go with up to 50 laptops connected at the same time?
Will check in with gowifi tomorrow Cheers Wayne

berryb
09-06-2011, 12:49 AM
The Gigabyte Engenius would be better than the 100 mb. Talk to Dale at Gowifi and he can answer that question.