PDA

View Full Version : help with laptop

Lisa
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm new to this so please excuse if I leave things out or I can't explain it right.

I have a HP Compaq Presario C700 with a memory of 2GB. If you need more information please let me know where to find it. It's a bit on the slow side. I've done the normal virus checks and defrag etc but it's stilll slow. I use my laptop all day as I work from home on a remote desk top. I was wondering about adding more memory to try and make it alot faster but heard that the maximum I can add to this is 2GB. Is this right? If so is there any other way I can get this laptop faster. I bought it 3-4 years ago and it's been brilliant up until now.

bot
06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello Lisa, and welcome to Press F1 :)

What's the CPU speed? To find this out, click the Start menu and right-click My Computer. You should be able to see a figure in GHz.

Lisa
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz 1.87 GHz - hope that's right and thank you for the welcome.

kjaada
06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Have you defragmented the HD?
Is there much free space on the HD ?
If you have been using it for 3 years there may be a fair bit of stuff you could get rid of.
If it was brilliant then it should at least be semi brilliant now.

jinja_thom
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
If you are running your laptop at home as a terminal on a remote desk top situated in your office some distance away, the appearance of slowness is more likely due to your internet connection speed or the remote PC than the specification of the laptop.

If you run your laptop as a pc in it's own right is it slow?

Burnzee
06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Lisa

Here is the website to download a PDF (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01118662/c01118662.pdf) file on how to add more memory. According to HP Support, some programs made make your computer run slowly, check THIS (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3466274&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3466274&objectID=c00818494)out.

Hope this helps...

BURNZEE

bot
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz 1.87 GHz - hope that's right and thank you for the welcome.

Yes, that's correct :)

Try removing programs you don't use often from your computer. Also, try running disk cleanup to remove temporary internet files and other garbage from your computer.

icow
06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Type "msconfig" in the search bar and run the program that comes up. Click the startup tab and post the names of the programs back here.

:pf1mobmini:

sahilcc7
06-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Upgrading ram won't improve speed by far. The max ram is 2gb.

What operating system is it running ? Maybe a reinstall will speed it up. There should be a recovery partition.

bot
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Upgrading ram won't improve speed by far. The max ram is 2gb.

What operating system is it running ? Maybe a reinstall will speed it up. There should be a recovery partition.

I'm assuming it's XP/Vista. If it is Vista, then, well, you know what to do...

Lisa
06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Type "msconfig" in the search bar and run the program that comes up. Click the startup tab and post the names of the programs back here.

Alps Pointing, Raid Event, HP QuickPlay, HP Quick Launch, StartMen App, Windows Defender, HP Wireless Assistant, Logitech Setpoint, PDFFactory, Cobian Backup, Intel Common User (there's 3), SMS Tray, hpwuSchd App, IE3SH App, Default Manager, Adoube Acrobat, Adobe Reader, mobileMe, Quick Time, iTunes, AVG, Java Platform, Microsoft Windows (there's 2), Google Update, googleToolbar, Spybot, Uniblue Launcher, uTorrent, Adobe Systems, Logitechn Desktop, Logitech.

Hope this helps. :)

gary67
06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
So how does the laptop behave if your Not logged into work but just using it to say make a word document or watch youtube videos or anything else non work related

Jen
06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Lisa,

What exactly has become slow with the laptop? Network speed, desk top loading, program opening etc?

Did the slowness just suddenly 'happen' in which case, can you remember if you installed any new program around that time.

Lisa
06-06-2011, 06:43 PM
So how does the laptop behave if your Not logged into work but just using it to say make a word document or watch youtube videos or anything else non work related

Used to be very fast even if I was working both normal laptop and RDC but very slow on both sides the last month or so.

icow
06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Alps Pointing, Raid Event, HP QuickPlay, HP Quick Launch, StartMen App, Windows Defender, HP Wireless Assistant, Logitech Setpoint, PDFFactory, Cobian Backup, Intel Common User (there's 3), SMS Tray, hpwuSchd App, IE3SH App, Default Manager, Adoube Acrobat, Adobe Reader, mobileMe, Quick Time, iTunes, AVG, Java Platform, Microsoft Windows (there's 2), Google Update, googleToolbar, Spybot, Uniblue Launcher, uTorrent, Adobe Systems, Logitechn Desktop, Logitech.

Hope this helps. :)
remove these from the list: of utorrent, adobe reader, adobe acrobat, google update, quick time, IE3SH, maybe itunes (depends how much you use itunes).

Removing these will stop these programs from starting up when you turn on your laptop and they will not be running in the back ground all the time. This should result in faster start times and more of your RAM and CPU being available for other programs (making your laptop faster). You will still be able to use the programs removed from the list they might just take abit longer to startup when you try to use them. (1-15 seconds probably).

Remove them by removing the tick beside their name and them clicking apply after un-selecting the ones i have said.

Used to be very fast even if I was working both normal laptop and RDC but very slow on both sides the last month or so.
Could be because you have used up your internet cap?

Hope this helps