PDA

View Full Version : DSE 8GB USB Drive Issues

The Error Guy
06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
My mum got herself a 8GB USB drive from DSE about 2 weeks ago, she couldn't save stuff onto it and not trusting her formatting skills asked me to format it (assuming that because it didn't work it needed a format)

Now it appears that formatting is not the issue, it appears to be something much deeper.

It doesn't work on any of the 2x Win7 Ultimate computers I have, all issues are the same on each computer. Basically, Device manager recognizes it all the time, sometimes its almost works, showing up in My Computer however attempting to open/right click or interact with the drive will cause everything to freeze. As soon as the drive is unplugged. Everything works. I tried to format with Easeus partition manager and the built in windows partition manager. Both times the the partition applications would freeze on the load screen/connecting to virtual disk service until the drive was removed.

When it doesn't show up in My computer, Device manager recognizes it with an error, device cannot start, code 10.

Whats up with this drive? I don't think I can take it back since I think she threw out the packaging + receipt but it seems to me this is a dud drive.

Cheers, TEG

gary67
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I would still take it back, they change their designs and stuff regularly on this sort of product so they will know that it won't have been on the shelf a year ago

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Sounds like it could be broken indeed...

The Error Guy
06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok, i'll get her to take it back and explain that it doesn't function properly.

mzee
16-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I have always found DSE to be very cooperative when it comes to device failures. They usually just replace it, not worth the hassle of argument, and good for their image. The USB drive would have only cost them a fraction of the retail price.

zqwerty
16-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Have a look at the 4 contacts (+, data, clock, -) check they are clean, use isopropyl alcohol and small paint brush to clean.

8ftmetalhaed
17-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I've returned and refunded transonic flash drives about 4 times to the warehouse. Funnily, I have a 2gb one that's worked perfectly fine for the past 5 years, but multiple 4gb ones turned out to be absolutely useless. Constant access errors, not storing anything over 2gb, all that sort of thing. I still have one somewhere. But I made the money back from them by the store giving the refund of the full price, as opposed to the half price I actually purchased the bloody things for.

Still wouldn't recommend them.

In any case, DSE ones could be the same. Just cheap and nasty and not working right out of the box.

The Error Guy
17-06-2011, 10:36 AM
not sure if they are just cheap and nasty but DSE replaced it stright up

Agent_24
17-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I've got an old 256MB DSE one which works just fine

They are of course a rebrand of something else though.

dugimodo
17-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I've returned and refunded transonic flash drives about 4 times to the warehouse. Funnily, I have a 2gb one that's worked perfectly fine for the past 5 years, but multiple 4gb ones turned out to be absolutely useless. Constant access errors, not storing anything over 2gb, all that sort of thing. I still have one somewhere. But I made the money back from them by the store giving the refund of the full price, as opposed to the half price I actually purchased the bloody things for.

Still wouldn't recommend them.

In any case, DSE ones could be the same. Just cheap and nasty and not working right out of the box.

I believe that 2GB is the maximum file size of the file system many usb drives come formatted with.

8ftmetalhaed
17-06-2011, 11:43 AM
i meant as in it crashed with I/O errors as soon as its storage usage hit over 2gb or so. Then generally it required formatting. But yeah good to hear DSE replaced it anyway :)