PDA

View Full Version : Persistent monitor problems

supersi
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
My DVI cabled monitor frequently refuses to wake when I wake or cold start my PC.

The only solution I've found is holding in the case power button for a full restart. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to switch the case on and off at the wall.

As far as I can tell my 650W PSU provides enough juice to all components (see signature). I have tried playing with the BIOS settings but to no avail.

Is there some setting on the graphics card I need to access? Is it not coming out of sleep?

But now I've read about P1 & P3 power settings in BIOS.
If I set to P3(strong), does that give my components more juice?
I've also read that you must set your power settings before you intsall your OS for it to have any effect. Is that true?

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Do you mean S1 and S3 - which relate to standby modes: Power on Suspend and Suspend to RAM.

Do you have a PC speaker\beeper plugged in? Do you get any beeps when you turn it on and it doesn't start?

Could be you need a BIOS update - one of my machines would throw a broken RAM beep code on some start-ups because the BIOS was out of date and didn't recognise the CPU properly. Why it worked sometimes though I have no idea.

supersi
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, I do mean S1 and S3.
Yes, I do have a speaker plugged in. It beeps before successful monitor start up.
My BIOS is updated to the last version Asus released. My mobo is not cureent model, no more BIOS versions released.

pctek
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
My DVI cabled monitor frequently refuses to wake when I wake or cold start my PC.

As far as I can tell my 650W PSU provides enough juice to all components . I have tried playing with the BIOS settings but to no avail.

So perhaps you're looking at the wrong part. Not GPU but the monitor itself - which isn't affected by the PSU.

Try disabling sleep on the monitor - via the front panel - not windows.

supersi
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
My monitor appears to have no sleep disable button/menu option.

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
This makes me think it's not the monitor...

The only solution I've found is holding in the case power button for a full restart. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to switch the case on and off at the wall.