PDA

View Full Version : Skype

Ron24
05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Family having trouble with Skype on Vista.

Have been told that they should delete Skype and reinstall it. What is the best way to go about this for very inexperienced people (in their eighties).

They are in the UK and ask me (another ancient one) for help. The toll bill is going up.

Cheers Ron..

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Uninstall then reinstall it. Dont delete its folder without uninstalling it first. There was a prob with it last week, and an update came out for it. Install Skype on your PC then you wont have to ring them

Ron24
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The problem is that we both have Skype and the female side of the family is unhappy. The UK side cannot contact us, except by phone, as their Skype is not working. So we are looking for help for them and it's a bit like the blind following the blind.
Cheers Ron.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
So whats the prob with the UK side?? It doesnt call / or run ? The sound doesnt work? The cam doesnt work? First thing I would do, is kill UAC in control panel / user accounts

Ron24
05-06-2011, 05:42 PM
They call and I answer, but no audio or cam, then I try to call them and no sound of a call going through from my end. We have Skyped with them before and not had a problem, this is a recent happening.
Could their Skype be corrupted?.
Don't understand the "kill UAC" ?

nerd89
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
In Skype, try >tools > options> then check your audio and video settings. If that does not help, the next possible fix is skype> help>check for updates. Another possibility is your webcam/mic is unplugged.

Chris Randal
05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
We had a problem when we first installed it and realised that we had to go back about 5 versions to make it work properly....

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM
It seemed to stuff up AFTER MS brought Skype.. Hmmm. Mine's running at the mo. But havent tried calling anyone or used the cam to see if it works.

Altho the cam is working if I go to tools / options / video settings.

The cam does come on. I would check and make sure the sound is on the right device (if there's more than 1 installed). Like mines on speakers at the mo. But I've also got the option of HDMI audio / SPDIF.

And the only mic I've got is the one built-in to the cam

lakewoodlady
05-06-2011, 11:05 PM
They call and I answer, but no audio or cam, then I try to call them and no sound of a call going through from my end. We have Skyped with them before and not had a problem, this is a recent happening.
Could their Skype be corrupted?.
Don't understand the "kill UAC" ?

Click the Start flag, Open Control Panel, open User Accounts, click on "Turn user account control on or off", Untick the box, then click OK.

LL

Ron24
06-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys for the help and will forward on the suggestions.
Regards Ron..

kjaada
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
If you know someone else on skype get them to call the UK one and yourself to see which end the fault is.