PDA

View Full Version : OPERATING SYSTEM

Kaycee
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM
It the fossile again.:banana:banana

Have an old pc ..... 4 gb hard drive. Want to put something lite on it for it to work. Its only going to be used for kids to play games on. It will not be connecting to the net etc :thanks

gary67
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
your going to be very limited to something like puppy linux as windows from XP onwards will not fit on that hard drive

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Or DOS

zqwerty
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Win98SE will be fine and I think Win2000 may be ok as well.

kjaada
05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Win98SE will be fine and I think Win2000 may be ok as well.
Either of the above;
Linux is very limited in the games department but a LOT depends on the age
of the kids.
I know a 70 yr old "kid" who spends hours playing linux games on a very
old PC.

Morgenmuffel
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
It the fossile again.:banana:banana

Have an old pc ..... 4 gb hard drive. Want to put something lite on it for it to work. Its only going to be used for kids to play games on. It will not be connecting to the net etc :thanks

What games are the kids going to be playing on the computer?

pcuser42
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
your going to be very limited to something like puppy linux as windows from XP onwards will not fit on that hard drive

XP does fit on a 4GB hard drive - and so does Vista, if you trim it down :D

mikebartnz
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Either of the above;
Linux is very limited in the games department but a LOT depends on the age
of the kids.
I know a 70 yr old "kid" who spends hours playing linux games on a very
old PC.
Linux isn't nearly as limited as it used to be.
It is going to be limited by the specs of the PC anyway.

wainuitech
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Windows XP will easily fit on a 4GB Drive.

A fresh install, of XP SP3 without all the current updates takes 1.91GB

(give or take a couple of MB for different Motherboard drivers).

sahilcc7
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
ubuntu or get nlite and slim it down to 500 mb...

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
You cant remove everything in Nlite for XP. Or nothing will work. I just tested 2K in a VM. After removing all the junk and adding all the updates, the install was 2.66 GB

After removing all languages / keyboards (except english) / tour, netmeeting, windows messenger, the defrag progam, indexing, (all the junk that you can remove in XP), except games, the install was still 4.90 GB.

But this includes all the updates till now (silverlight, flash, net framework, SP3 + updates). Obviously it'll be lower, if you didnt slipstream any updates at all

mzee
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I have an Asus Eee PC with a 4gb drive. Windows Pro SP3 fits on it fine.
I use an SD Card as a second drive, but a USB drive would do as well, in-case you need more room for the games.
XP will run on 128mb RAM, but 512mb would be needed for games.

You could use Windows 98SE or ME, but XP is more reliable.

bot
05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I have an Asus Eee PC with a 4gb drive. Windows Pro SP3 fits on it fine.
I use an SD Card as a second drive, but a USB drive would do as well, in-case you need more room for the games.
XP will run on 128mb RAM, but 512mb would be needed for games.

You could use Windows 98SE or ME, but XP is more reliable.

W2K is always good; I have it running on a 10GB HD as a file/print server. Never has crashed once.

FoxyMX
05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
What operating system to install would depend very much on what type of games are expected to play on it.

pctek
05-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Have an old pc ..... 4 gb hard drive. Its only going to be used for kids to play games on.

Games??? on a 4GB drive??? Most games these days take up about 5GB each.
What games? Gaming PCs are what drives the hardware industry. You don't need a fancy pants PC for net or word processing but you sure do for games.

At least anything more gamy than Solitaire anyway.

pcuser42
05-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Games??? on a 4GB drive??? Most games these days take up about 5GB each.

He/she didn't say what games: the likes of Lemmings will work just fine. :)

bot
05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Knowing that it'll have a 4GB drive, it'll probably have the specs to match - IE a 266MHz CPU, 64MB RAM. I'm assuming this because I had a similar comp with those specs.

If this is the case, then unless the games are really old (IE 1999-wise), don't bother.

EDIT: Of course, if it's a EEE PC or one from around that era (IE 2008) then it should be fine for educational games (which is what I'm assuming you're going to put on there) as they only need a very small amount of video RAM.

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 04:27 PM
4GB hard drive points to an older PC like Pentium 2, so I assume the games aren't going to be 5GB each.

If it's got a decent amount of RAM XP might be OK, just make sure you disable system restore or limit it to the minimum size as it will eat up the drive quickly.

Kaycee
06-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry about not getting back .... thank you so much for all your replies ............ but

The pc that I was given ... I think it had more wrong with it xp wouldnt install it kept flaking on me. It was that pc thatwas telling me that it was a 4gb hd

So ive put the hd in another old machine .... tiger for punishment am I.

In fact its a forty gb harddrive .... 768 ram ... (that makes me smile ).... but its partitioned .....hummmmm how do I delete the partitions so I have one 40gb drive :):):)

bot
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Sorry about not getting back .... thank you so much for all your replies ............ but

The pc that I was given ... I think it had more wrong with it xp wouldnt install it kept flaking on me. It was that pc thatwas telling me that it was a 4gb hd

So ive put the hd in another old machine .... tiger for punishment am I.

In fact its a forty gb harddrive .... 768 ram ... (that makes me smile ).... but its partitioned .....hummmmm how do I delete the partitions so I have one 40gb drive :):):)

You should be able to do it from the XP setup - select the partition you want, press "D", then ENTER then "L" to confirm.

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
It was that pc thatwas telling me that it was a 4gb hd

Possibly the BIOS had a 4GB limit and wouldn't detect anything higher

Kaycee
09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Thank you once again for you help .... pc is up and running :) Sorry.... I forgot to respond re the games ... ie reading games and maths