PDA

View Full Version : C://Windows/sapsgntm.dll - detected by AVG

LadySapphira
04-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Wondering, I have moved this to vault but computer isn't so happy when it turns on - And error comes up trying to load the file. Is there a way to tell if the file is legit windows or the trojan AVG says it is? The vault shows 6 files of the same name (sapsgntm.dll) - actually three have a lowercase c and the others have caps.

Thanks in advance.

pcuser42
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
What version of Windows? My copy of Windows 7 doesn't have this file.

Scan it with something else, or upload it to VirusTotal (http://www.virustotal.com/).

LadySapphira
04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Windows XP, how would I know what to trust/ if it's a valid part of windows or not?

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Its not an XP file

pcuser42
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Windows XP, how would I know what to trust/ if it's a valid part of windows or not?

As per my previous post, scan it with VirusTotal. There's also no Google results for that particular file name; if it were valid, at least some site would come up saying it's valid.

LadySapphira
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah... when I move it to vault/remove it, it pops back up. Guess AVG isn't finding the cause of the virus/backdoor - what other scanners do you suggest? Not sure how to remove something like this, am currently running from my Ubuntu partition. Is there any way to work from the other partition - it can read/write onto my XP.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
If AVG thinks its a virus delete it. Install Microsoft's virus scanner. See what that says

kjaada
05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
This post seems a bit funny as the same poster has posts going back to 2009 on Google on the same subject

LadySapphira
06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't know if you're talking about the poster as in me I've never had this problem before so it couldn't have been :P

When I google I can't find anything about this. Could you send me a useful result if there is one?

I have deleted the files but now windows crashes upon startup =(

First WindowsExplorer has to close. Then something called Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger also crashes.

At that point the computer freezes completely of course.

Please can someone give advice on how to fix this?

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Will it boot into safe mode / safe mode / networking?