PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router of a Telstra cable modem

Richardd150
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi all.

My linksys Wrt54g wireless router appears to have died - The connection from PC to router is fine but I can't get internet (I'm typing this having run a cable from my laptop to the telstra cable modem).

The problem was intermittent last night but its really gone today. I've isolated it to the router. Cable connection to modem works, cable connection via router doesn't - just sits there as "NO INTERNET ACCESS". Is same issue on both Laptop and PC (so shouldn't be something I've changed in the system).

Time to upgrade I think - any rec's for router under $300?

wainuitech
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Have you checked the Router Setting under Static IP address, and make sure your Telstra IP address, and DNS servers are entered.

AND the laptop, or any other device connected to the router is set to obtain automatically ?

I'm typing this having run a cable from my laptop to the telstra cable modem I assume you had to manually enter in your IP setting into the Laptop before hand ?

Richardd150
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Have you checked the Router Setting under Static IP address, and make sure your Telstra IP address, and DNS servers are entered.
Yep, they were.
AND the laptop, or any other device connected to the router is set to obtain automatically ?
Yep, they are.
I assume you had to manually enter in your IP setting into the Laptop before hand ?
Yes, I did.

Those ducks were lined up and still it wouldn't co-operate - however, your kind advice (Thank you!) prompted me to Factory re-set the router (which I had previously done without success) and re-set up the connections from the PC and laptop from scratch), and away they went (security in place and everything).

The gods of tech smiled upon me (eventually).

wainuitech
04-06-2011, 02:32 PM
My Netgear router (I have Telstra Cable) did something similar when I first got it. The Internet held fine, but some other settings simply wouldn't hold or work.

Ended up resetting it twice,and then it worked as it should -- that was several months ago, and been fine since.

Strange things happen sometimes :nerd:

Richardd150
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
And.... I spoke too early. Worked fine for an hour and now I'm back on cable access - all the settings are still lined up so I'll try the reset again!

wainuitech
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Might be time to bin it if its gonna keep playing up.

I'm using This Netgear (http://www.netgear.co.nz/nz/Product/Routers-and-Gateways/Fast-Ethernet-Router/WNB2100) Works OK.

Richardd150
05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks Wainuitech.

The connection's been stable since the 3rd reset late yesterday afternoon so I'm crossing my fingers that's done it. Thanks for the router link, I think the lack of internet access has scared my wife enough that she's the one agitating for the upgrade. I suspect we'll be using your recommendation if the connection even hints at becoming unstable again:badpc:

wainuitech
05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Different people like different routers. The netgear I'm using does the job I want perfectly fine.

FoxyMX
05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
My linksys Wrt54g wireless router appears to have died - The connection from PC to router is fine but I can't get internet (I'm typing this having run a cable from my laptop to the telstra cable modem).

I have one of those and it too was playing up just the other day. It came right after a couple of reboots so I still don't know what the problem was. :illogical

Hopefully it will continue behaving otherwise I'll be looking for another myself.

Richardd150
06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi there.

Connection died last night and would not be resurrected,even with a factory settings reset. This morning I did another reset and it worked - perhaps I didn't hold down the reset button (or hold my mouth the right way) for long enough.

It's almost as if the router loses its internet settings (although you can still see them in the console) and needs them re-entered.

A couple of questions out of my experience:
Anybody had a similar experience and what did you do about it?
Whats the average life for a router (mines 4-5 years old)?

Cheers!

plod
06-06-2011, 09:14 AM
My old Belkin router did the same thing, it was always pretty flakey to be honest. This also with telstra cable, but not a teltra problem. I have since purchased another router over 3 years ago and has been going strong since.