PDA

View Full Version : Computer will not boot

johntekuiti
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi, I have a computer running XP it will not boot up, there is no beeps and will not load the biois .There is power getting in the system as the fan on the motherboad turn on.
I was told even as the fan works there may no be enough power getting to the motherboard.

I have tried other screen, new power cable. I have check for lose connections still nothing. I have tried with no graphics card still nothing.

The last time the computer was working I did have a web page freeze for a few minutes, then I start the computer down as I have always done by start, turn computer off, then click the icon to trun computer off and let it turn itself off, now it will not boot, no beeps just a blank screen.

Is there something I am missing or do you think the motherboard or the hard drive has packed up.

Thank you for any help.

Paul.Cov
03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Hard drive is unlikely to be the issue (the motherboard and or bios would likely report HDD issues), so I'd point the suspicions at the power supply (PSU) (the transformer box at the back) or the motherboard.

Open the case and see if any of the cylindrical capacitors have a bulge at either their top or bottom, or a crusty residue anywhere on them.

While you're in there unplug and re-plug every cable from the PSU you can find. Some PSU's have plugs at both ends of each cable.
Make sure the power is off while you do this.

Sometimes simply resting the thing (completely unplugged) for 15 mins can make a difference too.

If you're able to source another power supply simply to experiment with a known good one that would be another way to narrow down the site of the problem.

It may also help to temporarily disconnect other sources of power drain at startup - so remove all USB drives and consider disconnecting any optical drives.

Good luck.

wainuitech
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Must be the week for this happening, collected two PC's today from customers, exact same thing, and collecting another tomorrow.:nerd:

Unplug the power plug (20 or 24 pin plug) from the Motherboard, blow out any dust, plug it back in see if it makes any difference.

One of the ones I have here has an intermittent fault, one minute it works, next time it wont, so far the PSU has been changed as the original had a cheap rubbish one that had blown, but seems to have done some damage to the board as well.

johntekuiti
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Thank guys for you help. Just taken it to my local computer shop who has checked the power supply and no problems. The have checked the ram try with no cards in and all they can come up with it either the motherboard or the CPU.

All I need to do now is find a motherboard to try first its a
Gigabyte GA-8VN800PMD775RH

Not sure what to do now as my computer shop even after spending a lot of money there has a policy they will not fix any computer after 3 years old

The mother baord is just over 3 years but the hard drive is only 1 year old.

May have to try myself.

wainuitech
07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
That comment:
Not sure what to do now as my computer shop even after spending a lot of money there has a policy they will not fix any computer after 3 years old Are they serious :lol: :lol:-- Bloody cowboys, seems they dont really want the business.

If the Shop/repairer were any good, they would have tested your Motherboard & CPU and told you which one was causing the problems.

Easy as really -- Remove your CPU, put it into a known good motherboard, if the board fires up, then its not the CPU. The shop should have done this if they had any idea what they were doing.
Most repair places will have spare parts for doing tests exactly like this.

johntekuiti
07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes I am serious. I have no way here to check which is the problem.

Which is why I am a little pi-- off.

I may have to go to other computer shop but will have to find other one.

The next shop is a hour away.

pctek
07-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Te Kuiti huh. Yes go to the other guy, this lot is crap.

johntekuiti
11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Guys,
I have now had my computer check by other shop and what great service I have had. H e went out of his way.
Found two problems one was the power supply and the ram was not put back right from the first shop.
He check out the power supply and found no power to start with so in goes a new unit then found the ram not it right.
Now works find no problems. Never going back to the frist shop.

feersumendjinn
11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Excellent!

wainuitech
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Good it got fixed -- to quote myself
Bloody cowboys, :D

pctek
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Now works find no problems. Never going back to the frist shop.
Name the first shop.

Agent_24
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Just taken it to my local computer shop who has checked the power supply and no problems.

And how did those guys test the PSU?

For proper testing of a PSU you must hook it up to a load and then analyze all outputs to ensure they are in specification.

Even a PSU in the worse condition will still usually power up, and if that's all they test, then they're idiots. You can buy "PSU Testers" from cheap shops that light up LEDs to tell you if the rails are 'OK'. They do NOT measure ripple. They also don't load the PSU properly.