PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Next time you have the lid off your PC...

08-10-2001, 12:26 AM
To save yourself some future stress and maybe expense, heres a tip for next time you're foraging inside your PC. Before you screw the top back on, take a rubber band or piece of string, and tie all the loose cables together, and possibly to part of the case frame. This prevents cables and loose connectors falling into and jamming the CPU fan, which I've found happens more often than you might think! Its free, and it could stop your CPU frying itself.

08-10-2001, 02:11 AM
and with nice tidy leads you get better airflow which gives you better cooling.

08-10-2001, 03:23 AM
and while you are there, why not give all a blast with some air and get rid of that coating of dust?!?!!

08-10-2001, 08:07 AM
Yeah, it'd be pretty cool to replace all my connectors with circular ones - cut a window in my case, and install a blue flourescent light...

08-10-2001, 09:11 AM
Thats a very good idea. Also following on from the air blast idea, it may be better to suck the dust out rather than blow it around. A camel-hair paint brush can be used to remove the dust from the cpu fan blades and suck it out with a vaccuum cleaner. Dust build-up on fans greatly reduces fan efficiency, (destroys the aerodynamic profile), this should be done fairly frequently.

08-10-2001, 08:04 PM
If your going to blow air into your case use a screw driver or similar to stop your fans from spinning (preferably something non-metalic for your PSU :->.

The fans can be easilly be broken because they can get spun much faster than normal, esp. from a vacume cleaner.

Also, you can get cans of compressed air from most computer places which it also better (cleaner) than your vacume cleaner.

12-10-2001, 07:02 PM
When it comes to cleaning out your CPU, I strongly recommend CRC'S CO CONTACT CLEANER. It will clean the inside of your computer, without pushing dirt into RAM sockets and other crevices, which a brush can. this is especially important if people smoke in the same room as tar in the smoke make the inside of the computer sticky. CO Contact cleaner is $24.95 and is good for cleaning your VCR's Heads. I cleaned my computer, VCR, and Sterio, and the can is still half full. It does a great job.