PDA

View Full Version : Weird: Telecom modem emitting SSID ?

hotkiwi
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
This got me stumped. A friend of mine has a Telwecom provided ADSL-2+ modem that can serve just 1 PC. It is a Thomson ST536v6.
This is a wireless modem/router and is the basic of basic.
Yet, the computer ses a wireless Thomson WiFi, named "Thomson018588". When you try to connect to that, it wants a WPA access key. However, there isn't one default included and I wonder if it can be used as a wireless router/modem at all. initially i thought it was maybe the neigbours network but it wasn't.
I have tried leaving the WPA field open, used the phrase 'password'. But it would not progress.
So is this modem, actually also a secret WiFi modem and router and is there any way to acticvate that ?

Thanks

hotkiwi
02-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Sorry, meant to say, this modem is not supposed to be a wireless one.

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Might be onboard. Is this a laptop / desktop?

bot
02-06-2011, 10:45 PM
This got me stumped. A friend of mine has a Telwecom provided ADSL-2+ modem that can serve just 1 PC. It is a Thomson ST536v6.
This is a wireless modem/router and is the basic of basic.
Yet, the computer ses a wireless Thomson WiFi, named "Thomson018588". When you try to connect to that, it wants a WPA access key. However, there isn't one default included and I wonder if it can be used as a wireless router/modem at all. initially i thought it was maybe the neigbours network but it wasn't.
I have tried leaving the WPA field open, used the phrase 'password'. But it would not progress.
So is this modem, actually also a secret WiFi modem and router and is there any way to acticvate that ?

Thanks

Have you turned it off then rescanned for wifi networks?

inphinity
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Probably a neighbours. The ST536v6 does not include a WAP.

The Error Guy
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
One way to be certain, crack it open and look for WiFi chips/broadcasting antennae etc

bot
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Probably a neighbours. The ST536v6 does not include a WAP.

One way to be certain, crack it open and look for WiFi chips/broadcasting antennae etc

I agree with both here.

Jester
02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Look underneath it. Is there an access key code?

Or/and turn it off and refresh the network connections, see if it's still there

hotkiwi
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Yes, first thing i thought: must be neighbours wireless. But when I switch the thing off the WIFI is gone and when I switch it on the wireless is there again. There is regretfully no access code on the bottom of the device, nor on the box it came with. So what I assume is, is that telecom gives them out to support one PC, but that it has WiFi onboard anyway, there is just no way to use it. Interesting ey ?

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
ST536v6 definitely does NOT have WiFi.

Are you sure you actually have an ST536v6 - because I do, and it looks like the one in the attached picture.

Even if you don't know the default WiFi password, just connect to the router via Ethernet and choose your own password.....

jinja_thom
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
30 years ago it was common practice for equipment manufactures to make only one circuit board with all the facilities on it and 'package down' so only a limited set of facilities was available to the user for variations of the product.
Maybe they are still doing it.
Check how far away you can still pickup the ssid.

bot
06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
ST536v6 definitely does NOT have WiFi.

Are you sure you actually have an ST536v6 - because I do, and it looks like the one in the attached picture.

Even if you don't know the default WiFi password, just connect to the router via Ethernet and choose your own password.....

WE have one and it doesn't have WiFi at all.

Agent_24
06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
30 years ago it was common practice for equipment manufactures to make only one circuit board with all the facilities on it and 'package down' so only a limited set of facilities was available to the user for variations of the product.
Maybe they are still doing it.
Check how far away you can still pickup the ssid.

That is true in the case of some devices (in fact a lot) but the ST536v6 is a completely different product to the WiFi routers that Telecom supply (TG585v7\v8 or the older D-Link G604T)

I know for a fact that the ST536v6 has no provision for WiFi whatsoever. It's plainly obvious to see by looking inside it that there is no WiFi circuitry and nowhere where WiFi circuitry would go.

If anyone is still sceptical I can upload a photo of the inside of mine.

I believe that hotkiwi has a TG585 of some kind and thinks he's got an ST536v6.