PDA

View Full Version : Sync Outlook and Android

The Error Guy
02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Setting up a Galaxy S for someone atm, they are going to be using 2degrees $10 100mb data plan so I want to keep internet useage as low as possible.

Currently working out how I could get outlook and android to sync nicely. The ideal plan would be to have the droid get emails whenever it's asked to send/receive. When in range of the clients wireless LAN it would sync folders calander address book etc between the phone and outlook.

These people (http://www.companionlink.com/android/) seem to do what I would like, the catch is the price. I'd prefer free but a few $$ is acceptable I guess. Companion link are asking $50? gotta be kidding right?

Also, any tips for keeping the net useage lowish on a galaxy for a rather less techie person? I'm not sure how much she's going to use. 100mb should be fine but ya never know.

Cheers

Alex B
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Could you not just use imap on outlook and the phone

The Error Guy
03-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Probably not since there are many years worth of mail sorted into folders etc on the outlook side that is currently managed Via POP.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Then the short answer is probably "no".

Use imap, or use Gmail. Gmail is probably ideal, as IIRC Google have an "import from Outlook" tool that you can use. I'm pretty sure that's what I used at least when I last migrated a business domain emails to Gmail, reimported all their mail, then had it sync nicely with the Gmail account on their phone. Pushed too, no polling, it's the way to go.

Just do them a favour and make sure that the Galaxy S is running at least 2.2, that or flash MIUI for them. They'll thank you in the long run, trust me, I've flashed about 8 Galaxy S's to MIUI in the last week ;)

The Error Guy
06-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Keeping it simple atm, 2.3 ROM, it came with 2.2 but 2.3 was much nicer/stable and had better battery. Maybe an MIUI later.

Bah, humbug. Will have to find a way, client refuses to switch email addy.

Probably involves syncing gmail with .orcon and then gmail with phone :p