PDA

View Full Version : Defrag

08-10-2001, 12:18 AM
I have been unable to defrag my computer.The defrag operation appears to be happening, however after 25 mins the process still showed 0% complete. I had disabled Nortons anti virus. Any idea what I should do?

08-10-2001, 12:27 AM
try pressing control/alt/delete keys down to open the 'close program' dialogue box. end task on everything but explorer and systray. then try the defrag again. if it works, reboot your pc b4 doing anything else.

08-10-2001, 02:08 AM
arghhh.....nooo...not again ;-)

check out the defrag posts down the page.should answer your question.

my 2 cents worth-
shutting down progs including using cntrl/alt/del and 'end it all' type progs is a waste of effort as you cannot shuttdown everything. the easest way is to simple boot into safe mode and run defrag from there. or use a prog such has power defrag to do it for you.
the next trick is to set a deccent size minimum swapfile size. this stops windows from resizing the swapfile, which is the main cause of defrag restarts/stoppages.
trick for those with large ram sizes (do not do this with win98/me 32meg ram) is to delete or set the swap file size to zero. handy for trouble shooting werid crashes;-)
98 uses can upgrade the dragger to the one from win me(sorry i forgot the addy)
and lastly for power users invest in a good third party app such as nortons speed disk

note- for people who havn't defragged for ages(or ever) and have a almost full harddrive (exspecialy if you have small smount of ram) you MIGHT notice your system running slower after defrag. this is due to windows moving the defrag to near the end of the disk, the slow end.hence the swapfile runs slower. this isn't a prob with apps such as speed disk which move the swap file to the the front(fastest part)of the disk.

08-10-2001, 05:29 AM
[Re: Tweak's posting -
'... 98 uses can upgrade the dragger to the one from Win Me(sorry i forgot the addy) ...']

Here's the URL:

http://surecool.com/download.htm

TIP: Reboot your system before running the first time. This baby rock'n'rolls (!!!)

With regards running the defrag in Safe Mode, my understanding is that this will also defrag the Swap File - which, if correct, is another advantage: any of the 'gurus' wish to comment on that(?)

Cheers !!!

e_

08-10-2001, 08:21 AM
Follow tweak's advice. goto www.powerdefrag.com and download. Solved all my problems. EXCELLENT!!!!!

08-10-2001, 01:33 PM
Defintely get the WinME defrag it is excellent. Also when defragging there is an option to check the disk for errors, and from what I know this is just like doing a surface check in Scan Disk, so uncheck that box and it will go quicker.

With power defrag I can't see a way to not check for errors.

Good Luck JM

09-10-2001, 02:44 PM
I found that shutting everything down by systray and explorer helped a lot. Unfortunately <ctrl><alt><delete> doesn't do it completely and in any case is very laborious. A friend provided me with a program called 'End-it-Alll' which is excellent for the purpose. It lists everything that is running and permits them being selected for a one hit delete. I keep a number of programs permanently selected and close them down on start-up to help my resources.

Unfortunately I don't know the source of the program but someone could say or PC World could add it to a 'Plus' CD Rom.

11-10-2001, 12:03 PM
you could also try Diskeeper 6! Loved the programe... win me has a lite version of it and xp has a new version of it!! Jp :-)