PDA

View Full Version : HTML "allow transparent" works in IE and Firefox but not in Chrome or Safari?

John L.
02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Below is some code that works fine in IE and Firefox but not in Chrome and Safari.

The problem is that the centre frame works as it should. It is centred and the nested frames within it show exactly as they should. This will actually be my website page. The remaining 30% of the clients browser will be just a color fill.

The problem appears to be that "allowtransparency" mightn't be valid in Chrome and Safari. (or my coding might be incorrect.) The background colors dont show. Just the blank frames in their place. I know the colors used in the fill frames are garish. They won't be the finished color. They are just temporary while I rough sketch code so I have a very clear picture of boundaries etc. Also most of the style coding will be changed to a seperate stylesheet when I get the html right of my base page.

Ideas please?

John Lane
Napier

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>3 column frameset document</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<frameset cols="*,70%,*">

<frame src="left frame.html" allowtransparency="True" style="background-color:#003366" />

<frameset rows="*" cols="200,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="no" border="0">
<frameset rows="200,*" cols="*"border="0" frameborder="no">
<frame src="logo.html" name="leftFrame" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize" id="leftFrame" title="Index" />
<frame src="index.html" />
</frameset>

<frameset rows="200,*" frameborder="no" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame src="header.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize" id="topFrame" title="Header" />
<frame src="page.html" name="mainFrame" id="mainFrame" title="mainFrame" />
</frameset>

</frameset>
<frame src="right frame.html" allowtransparency="true" style="background-color:red" />
</frameset>
<noframes></noframes>
</HTML>

sal
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Why don't you just set the background-color of the sidebars in their respective pages rather than in the frameset page?

dpDesignz
02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
do you have a link to the actual site? might I also also suggest www.codingforums.com

John L.
03-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Why don't you just set the background-color of the sidebars in their respective pages rather than in the frameset page?

Thanks Sal,
Simple elegant solution.
Doing it this way I don't even need the "allowtransparency" attribute. All browsers now run the coding as per instruction. So does the phone preview and the pad preview. :thanks

Interesting though about the difference between browsers on the instruction used in the frameset page.

John L.

John L.
03-06-2011, 07:59 AM
do you have a link to the actual site? might I also also suggest www.codingforums.com

Thanks for your link. This will be a keeper. As you can see the prob is solved.
:D

John L.