PDA

View Full Version : Irfanview won't play AVI........

Billy T
31-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I get the sound but it says "cannot find vids:mjpg decompressor".

I downloaded irfanview_plugins_428_setup.exe from Tucows, which said it was what I needed for Irfanviewto play all videos etc.

Hollow promises, it does nothing different. Silly thing is the copy of Irfanview on my old computer played all videos no problem and I never did anything special, just downloaded it, added the plugins available at that time and away it went.

WMP won't play the AVI either, mainly because I can't find a way to browse to the file. According to the WMP Help file I should be able to browse the computer but there is no access that I could find.

So, what do I do next? Is there an easier/simpler way to get Irfanview to play AVIs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

plod
31-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Might I sugest VLC

bot
31-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Might I sugest VLC

Might I too...

Billy T
31-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Might I sugest VLC

And well you might, but what the heck is VLC and where do I find it? I have just returned to this thread after a further fruitless journey though a large number of sites promising mjpg nirvana, but the best offers I found were a Life Insurance package (yes, really) and a free download that cost $US89.95. The rest are not worth mentioning.

I'm not tromping that trail again, so a reliable link would be appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

R.M.
31-05-2011, 08:41 PM
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

:)

Burnzee
01-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Hi Billy T

You are obviously frustrated but the fix is easy.

1. Open Infanview.

2. Click the Options Tab.

3. Select Properties/Settings.

4. Now select Extensions.

5. Scroll down in the box to AVI Video For Windows.

6. Tick the box.

7. Click Ok.

8. Close Infranview.

9. Job done. Infranview will now play AVI files.

Final Tip: Tick any other boxes you require Infranview for as well.

Hope this helps...

BURNZEE

dpDesignz
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
+1 for VLC

Cellux
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I recommend CCCP-Project (http://www.cccp-project.net/), if you're doing any 1080p video.

VLC might play anything, but it doesn't do it very nicely.

CCCP also installs the codecs into your computer, so Irfan might suddenly be able to decode the avi you want played in the first place.

Billy T
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi Billy T

You are obviously frustrated but the fix is easy.
Hope this helps...

BURNZEE

Well bbbbbbugger me breathless!

Thank you!

It works fine, just as you said, but how come all the other stuff that isn't ticked has been working OK??

Late last night I converted the files to wmv using a free on-line service, so that I could get them away to my client in a form I knew he could open, but that turned into a mission as well. He is in business, but he couldn't receive 12 MB of video! It was over his email service's limit.

So, I broke it down into three emails and bbbbbbugger me backwards..............then his mailbox was full, so I still couldn't send them all!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh::waughh::waughh:

Johnnz
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I thought Irfanview was an image editor. And a damn good simple one at that - almost finishes loading before your mouse finger is off the clicker. Since when have they diversified?

Billy T
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Well bbbbbbugger me breathless! It works fine

So after start up this morning it no longer works (didn't find out until tonight) and I am back to the dreaded "cannot find vids:mjpg decompressor" message again.

What gives? The ticked boxes are still ticked, but Irfanview refuses to play!

Edit: Nearly forgot, it displays the first frame of the avi when I click on the file, but spits the dummy when asked to play.

There must be something I am missing here.........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Oh, and Irfanview is more than just an image edittor, it is quite multi-talented, except where AVIs are concerned it would seem!

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Looks like Irfanview uses an older codec scheme (http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/some-avi-files-wont-play-missing-codec). That message can also appear in Word, Powerpoint or any other program

Snorkbox
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Have you tried downloading the K-lite codecs?

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Burnzee
01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi Billy T

Been using Infraview for years and you're right, it has been multi-tasked all that time. Have never had a problem with mine, so like others I suspect it's the codecs you are using.

Suggest you uninstall them and go get the correct ones HERE (http://www.software.com/irfanview-plugins-9374-1). This download has them all. Even some pretty rare and weird formats.

Nuff Said

BURNZEE

Scubadoo
01-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Burnzee

You are a braver person than me.

File downloaded from software.com:
IrfanviewPluginsBundleStub.exe - 177KB

I'm certainly not going to execute it until at least 3 other regular guinea pigs here report it safe. The mind boggles. :dogeye:

Burnzee
01-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Billy T

Just been reading Infraview Offical Homepage to see if your fault was in the FAQ. Well bugger me, it was:

Q: Generic problem with video files: If I try to play some AVIs, I get the error message "Video not available, cannot find XYZ decompressor"!

A: The correct video codec is not installed, please check this site for the right codec (see in menu Image->Information for the codec name)

Sounds familar huh!!

Hey Scubadoo, check out my new thread on freeware.

BURNZEE

Billy T
01-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi Billy T

Been using Infraview for years and you're right, it has been multi-tasked all that time. Have never had a problem with mine, so like others I suspect it's the codecs you are using.

Suggest you uninstall them and go get the correct ones HERE (http://www.software.com/irfanview-plugins-9374-1). This download has them all. Even some pretty rare and weird formats.

Nuff Said

BURNZEE

OK, so how do I uninstall them? Sadly I haven't the faintest idea where they are hidden or even the file names! I click install, cross my fingers and pray, because I never see a destination folder name..

Uninstalling is actually what I want to do right now, because Windows Media Player is a load of crapola. It plays OK, but when I pause it and do a print screen, I can't get that image to work in Irfanview, Paint or any other image editor. It displays ok, sure, but you can't crop it or do anything else and if you save it somewhere then open it again you get either a blank black screen or the WMP screen without the image. Some notion of anti-piracy protection I guess, but it is stopping me using my own images.

Having downloaded two or three sets of Codecs now (IrfanView and a couple of others that were recommended) I'm pretty sure I have a big mess to clean up before I can make any progress.

Where do I look?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Burnzee
02-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi Billy T

Not sure where your Codecs got to but you can try Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. Perhaps they are listed on the Start Menu so uninstall from there if possible.

For Infanview, you can find the installed Codecs by:

1. Open Infanview.

2. Click Help.

3. Click Installed Plug-ins.

4. Click Ok.

Goto C:/Program Folder/Infranview/Plugins and manually delete any *.dll file you find.

Now go and download the correct files from HERE (http://www.software.com/irfanview-plugins-9374-1).

Click install, cross your fingers and pray, and if by magic they will install in the Infranview Plug in folder. Simple huh!!

BURNZEE

Snorkbox
02-06-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd be inclined to download revo uninstaller which should remove leftovers in the registry as well as Irfanview itself.

From here and get the free version rather than Pro.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Burnzee
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi Billy T

Just did as you suggested with WMP. Comes out good on mine. Problem in your system.

BURNZEE

Billy T
02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Okay

Never mind the 'won't play AVI' for a moment, a higher priority is my clipboard problem, which persists with (it seems) only certain images. They copy and paste OK, but the "image" within the captured screen either doesn't appear, or if it does, and I then cut and paste it into Irfanview, it gives me a full or half image, or a black hole.

If I then try to modify that image, or copy and paste it, I get all sorts of issues like partial displays etc, all unusable.

For as long as I have had this new computer, Ctrl-C has produced the error message: "Can't open clipboard" but regardless, it has captured the image and I have been able to paste it into any program I wanted. Only one obscure DOS instrument program has refused to play along, so I have not worried about it. Any suggestions re this problem would be appreciated.

Returning to AVI issues, since my last post I have used 'add-remove programs' to get rid of K-Lite Codecs and something else that I forgot to write down but it seemed relevant at the time, I think it was VLC or similar :D. That has changed nothing.

Since WMP is of no practical use to me, because I can't browse through my main data directories, I think I'll uninstall it to get it out of my hair but I still need to get Irfanview going.

Would a complete uninstall of both program and codecs help? It has the AVI codec clearly displayed but won't use it, and it is still winging about not finding vids.mjpg decompressor.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :badpc: :help:

Burnzee
02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi Billy T

Certainly a complete uninstall\install of Infanaview and Codecs would be a good idea. However you will still need to install the correct Codecs into Infanview.

Before uninstalling WMP try the following:

1. Copy this: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\

2. Click Start.

3. Click Run.

4. Paste the above into the Run Box.

5. Press Ok.

6. You will now see a number of files and\or folders.

7. Create a new folder called Old.

8. Drag and drop all files and folders into the Old Folder.

9. Close Box and get back to your desktop.

10. Open WMP.

You will see a message saying there are no items in the library and WMP is searching. It may/may not find some. Now do this:

1. Click on the small down arrow at the bottom of the Library Tab.

2. Click on Add To Library.

3. Select My Personal Folders

4. Under Monitored Folders make sure every folder on the list has been ignored except your music folder. Press the Add button if it's not on the list. Follow on screen instructions.

5. Press OK.

6. WMP will now find all your music. Allow to finish.

7. Press Close.

8. The database has now been rebuilt and you should be able to browse, select\play music etc.

Hope this helps...

BURNZEE

Burnzee
02-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Right Billy T

It's my guess your clipboard has a stuff up in the Registry. Try this.

1. Find the Windows Folder in your computer. Open it.

2. Find the System32 Folder. Open it.

3. Find the file named clipbrd.

4. Create a Shortcut.

5. Right Click on the Shortcut.

6. Select Cut.

7. Close all boxes until you are back to your Desktop.

8. Right Click on the Desktop.

9. Select Paste. Now you have a shortcut to the Clipboard viewer.

10. Double click Shortcut to open it.

11. Now open WMP.

12. Press your PrtSc key.

13. Close WMP.

14. You should now see WMP or part of, in the Clipboard viewer.

Let me know if you are seeing anything at this stage.

BURNZEE

Billy T
02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
OK, I did that, except that I used "Send to Desktop" (Create Shortcut). Not surprisingly, Print Screen captures the image because that has always worked, despite the error messages. It is transfer of that image to a graphics program (in my case Irfanview) that becomes problematic.

However, I am ready for the next step, anything that lets me copy and paste images properly instead of the process dropping the image data and leaving me with a picture frame but no Mona Lisa.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
AAaaaarrrrgggh!!

Now I find that YouTube doesn't play either. It actually stopped quite a while back when I installed a program called DownloadHelper that was supposed to make it easy to save YouTube videos, only it didn't work and after installing it no YT videos would play at all.

I uninstalled that when I couldn't work out how to use it, but either that act or my recent wipe-out of Codecs and VLC may have caused some problems.

Need some step by step checks I think, and firstly I would like to restore whatever codecs should be installed natively by XP or whatever, because a normal installation simply works from the off.

Ironically, my wmv files I made from AVIs a few days ago still fire up WMP and run fine, for all the good that does me!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

Burnzee
03-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Billy T

Lets start again...

1. Uninstall and reinstall Infanview.

2. Download and install the Codecs from HERE (http://www.software.com/irfanview-plugins-9374-1).

3. Open Infanview.

4. Click Options>Set File Associations.

5. Tick AVI Video For Windows

6. Click Ok.

7. Now try to play the file.

Now let me know what is happening.

BURNZEE

Billy T
03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
OK, I'll look at that tomorrow afternoon, I have a site to visit tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, I renamed a couple of the avi files to MPG and on clicking on them, Irfanview opens and plays them. Go figure!

Next I paused the video at a frame I wanted to extract, did a printscreen and pasted into irfanview and got the viewing window frame only, the video content was a black screen bordered by the usual progress bar, pause and stop etc.

I went to my desktop, did a print screen on that and it works fine so it seems that I can't grab the video frame, even though it is on screen, yet I have successfully done that twice today using another technique (more by accident than design) and it worked. I just don't recall what I did or what program I was using.

Is it usually straight forward to grab a video frame simply by pausing it and doing a print screen, or am I actually asking the system to do something it can't ordinarily do?

Off to bed now, I'll try again later tomorrow. Might have a go on the old W2K box too and see if that works.

Thanks for all the help, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Burnzee
03-06-2011, 12:39 AM
If you are still up Billy T

Do this:

1. Click Start.

2. Click Run.

3. Type mplayer2.

4. This will open Windows Media Player. Different one.

5. Click View>Options>Formats>Select All>Ok.

6. Try to play your AVI files in this.

BURNZEE

Billy T
03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi BURNZEE

My AVI files play ok in the alternative player, but Print-Screen still gives me a total blank in both the original clipboard and the other one you pointed me at.

I always thought that Print-Screen captured everything in tthe open window, and in my past experience it always has, infact it has been my default system for getting images out of various sources that didn't offer any other alternative.

This situation is utterly weird so I'm going to play with my old W2K box and my W2K notebook on the weekend and see what I can find out. I'll also have a play on my son's XP computer just for luck! I've wasted several hours on this, but it has been important because I needed to send critical instrument results to a client as images and I can't do that if I can't lift them off the computer screen.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Safari
03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Have you got a camera, take a JPEG

Burnzee
03-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Billy T

Early hours this morning, about 03:00 hrs, I got a flash back about a similar problem with capturing video frames, I had years ago. After thinking about for a further hour and a half, I got an eureka moment on how I fixed it. Now this is probably the last thing anybody would think of, but please bear with me. Would you please do this:

1. Click Start.

2. Click Settings>Control Panel.

3. Select Display.

4. Click Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot.

At this point you should see a box with Hardware Acceleration. Halfway down that box is a slider which is probably set to Full. Now do this.

1. Slide it back to lowest setting - None.

2. Click Apply>Ok.

3. Close everything to get back to your Desktop.

4. Open the Clipboard Viewer from the Shortcut on your Desktop.

5. Start playing a video in the main WMP.

6. Do your PrtScreen thing at any convenient moment.

7. Stop video and close WMP.

8. You should now have a picture in the Clipboard.

9. Open Paint.

10. Press Ctrl+v

This should now put the picture into Paint. From there you should be able to do what you like with it.

Let me know how you go with this. Still do the uninstall\reinstall thing with Infanview and Codecs.

BURNZEE

Oh Hey, Happy Birthday Billy T. Yah Don't Look A Day Over Eighty!! :lol::groan::lol: