PDA

View Full Version : Undock PC Button in XP Laptop

learning
31-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Do you need to enable some setting to see the "Undock PC" button in the start menu for Win XP on a laptop ? Or is this specific to the kind of laptop you have i.e only shows on say Lenovo and not on Dell ?

Does undocking a laptop simply by pussing the eject button on docking station damage the laptop in anyway while you are logged in besides data loss ? Or is it imperative you loggoff/shutdown before physically undocking by pushing the eject button?

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I suppose it all depends on the laptop, and if you need to tell the hardware you are going to undock first or not.

learning
31-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I suppose it all depends on the laptop, and if you need to tell the hardware you are going to undock first or not.

Ok i used to use a Lenovo T61 and it had the undock option/button in the start menu but on my Dell which runs XP it does not have Undock button so it seems its manufacturer specific rather then Windows XP feature enabling ?

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I honestly don't know - does your T61 run XP as well?

Was that undock button in the start menu part of Windows or a 3rd party program made by Lenovo?

My Toshiba and Asus don't have docking stations, and I've never used the docking station on my IBM 380ED which does.

inphinity
31-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think you need to use it for XP and newer OSes anyway

bot
31-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't think you need to use it for XP and newer OSes anyway

Nah, the system image version of XP on my thinkpad didn't have an undock button on the start menu.