PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird bug - headsup

linw
30-05-2011, 10:37 PM
After using TB for years I have discovered that it has a long standing bug whereby it won't send out inline images in forwarded mail. Bit embarrassing as my first club mailout turned to custard!

The bug can also be demonstrated by copying an image to the clipboard from an email and pasting it into a new mail body. That will give you a small square only. Dbl click this and the faulty image path can be seen as below.

mailbox:///D%7C/DATA/TB%20Profile/Mail/Local%20Folders/RC?number=47280742&part=1.2&type=image/jpeg&filename=Copy%20of%20DSC09048.JPG

The start of the path has '%7C' which is the ascii '|' symbol. Subbing this with either ':' or '|' will see the image appear. You would think this would be easy to fix but there you go.

So now I have to maintain the contacts list in gmail as well as TB.

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Did you tell them, if they dont know?

linw
30-05-2011, 11:17 PM
They know. It has been reported a couple of years ago, apparently! Makes it weirder that it is still there.

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 12:47 AM
This kind of thing is why I don't use Thunderbird, and it has worse bugs than that, too.

bot
31-05-2011, 12:55 AM
I use the web I/F of GMail after a particulary nasty experience with WLM.

pctek
31-05-2011, 01:39 PM
After using TB for years I have discovered that it has a long standing bug whereby it won't send out inline images in forwarded mail. Bit embarrassing as my first club mailout turned to custard!

It does. I've done it.
But one person gets crap at the other end - the rest don't.
But I know what you mean, it probably is TB not the other end......

linw
17-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry to have dredged this back but I have made some more discoveries that may be helpful to others.

The basic problem seems to be that in the contact details in the address book there is a box for 'Prefers to receive messages formatted as:' The default is 'Unknown'. If you change this to 'HTML' the embedded images forward as intended.

I have also changed a setting under Tools/Options/Composition/General. Click the box labelled 'Send Options' and select 'Ask me what to do' from the dropdown box. Now when TB forwards an HTML message to a contact with the 'Unknown' msge preference, TB will prompt you and if you choose 'send text and HTML' the images will go through.

Another way is to rt-clk a msge and choose 'Edit as new'. Add recipients and fire it off.

Anyway, this info is a big help to me and clears this up as far as I am concerned.

linw
17-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Another (better?) thought. In Composition/General/Send Options, select 'Send text and HTML'.

mikebartnz
17-06-2011, 08:48 PM

The bug can also be demonstrated by copying an image to the clipboard from an email and pasting it into a new mail body. That will give you a small square only. Dbl click this and the faulty image path can be seen as below.

mailbox:///D%7C/DATA/TB%20Profile/Mail/Local%20Folders/RC?number=47280742&part=1.2&type=image/jpeg&filename=Copy%20of%20DSC09048.JPG

The start of the path has '%7C' which is the ascii '|' symbol. Subbing this with either ':' or '|' will see the image appear. You would think this would be easy to fix but there you go.

So now I have to maintain the contacts list in gmail as well as TB.
That is probably because the image is an attachment so it isn't finding it where it says.

linw
18-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Nah, that is the right location as changing %7c to : allows it to find the image. Remember, this is an email sent to me not originated by me so the inline images are with the email in the profile.