PDA

View Full Version : Wireless modem quality question

bazmeister
29-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I need an ADSL wireless modem for a newly acquired laptop. Is the Thomson TG585v7 a reasonable piece of gear for around $50-00 on TM ? My requirements performance-wise is pretty modest.

linw
30-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I have used several of these and found they were all respectable and reliable performers. I have kept buying them because of my experiences and their very reasonable price (just bought one for $42.50 incl courier off TM).

But, they were all for very 'ordinary' uses with no gaming, port assignment etc. Just plain vanilla usage. Steer clear if you need to do any complex configuration.

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 04:14 PM
The web interface for those things gives me a headache. The telnet interface is pretty fun though.

If you already have an ADSL router you could just add a separate WiFi AP - I have a Linksys WAP54G.

I personally prefer separate devices, you can upgrade separately, and a fault in one device won't ruin functionality of the rest of your network.

Chilling_Silence
31-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Personally I wouldn't touch them. There's a reason they're being hocked off for ~$50 on TradeMe: People who've had them have upgraded to better & more reliable routers.

Save yourself the headache and invest in a solid piece of kit, right from the get-go. I promise it's worth it in the long-run!
Go for something like this: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1065&name=NETCOMM-NB6PLUS4Wn-ADSL2+-11n-Fully-featured-300Mb