PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX on A pc

ipod
28-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I have a dell dimension 2400 and i am attempting to install mac OSX snow leopard on it. I have purchased a legit version but it is halting at 'still waiting for root device' on Empire EFI and iBoot does the same? is there any way i can install mac osx on a PC. :angry

Alex B
28-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes but its not exactly a simple process, Google it and do lots of reading basically.

wainuitech
28-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Can be done, I've seen it from a mate that has his PC running a MAC OS.( legally purchased)

Never tried it myself, but Found this article (http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mac-and-install-os-x-in-eight-easy-steps) - no idea if it works or not Via that method.

wainuitech
28-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Just watched the Movie thats there, 'The Full Step by Step in Video Form" ( 8 steps to installing) looks easy enough, as long as you have the other downloads from that site as well.

nedkelly
28-05-2011, 07:13 PM
It is illegal according to the EUA that you have to agree to when you install.

wainuitech
28-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, thats true.

Apple dictate the hardware as well.

Microsoft and Linux Dont dictate what hardware their OS has to go on - so who is the more of a dictator ;)

goodiesguy
28-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Mac OSX is a pain in the arse.

You're better off with Windows or Linux

icow
28-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Mac on a PC is actually illegal. In not going to post any direct links because of this but if you google hackintosh (btw you'll need a Mac to complete the process you will find) you should find what you are looking for.

stay on topic.

sahilcc7
29-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Is it an intel? If it is, then you should be able find a way.

I guess if you have bought it you would be able to download a cracked version and use the genuine serial with it.

It was posted in a old copy of PCWorld NZ.

wainuitech
29-05-2011, 01:59 PM
The link in post 3 tells you how to do it, got as far as using iBoot, then slight problem :rolleyes: -- No MAC OS CD/DVD to carry on :p

The OS is only $77.25 ( shipping and gst added) -- so maybe one day when I'm feeling bored may try it, then again, may not

icow
29-05-2011, 08:13 PM
genuine serial with it.
Mac doesn't use serials. :D

@ WT: osx is only $40 in some stores. Pricespy says $56.

wainuitech
29-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh --Ok thanks icow - I was only going by the Apple Site /pricing (http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL) Mind you that changes from the $60 when you click on Add to Cart (http://store.apple.com/nz/cart) :rolleyes:

Personally I dont own a MAC never brought the software. :thanks

sahilcc7
30-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Well I guess if you have bought it then you could download a copy with drivers off the net so it would work with a PC.

mikebartnz
30-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Have you used it for longer than two minutes or are you just being a plonker.

GameJunkie
30-05-2011, 10:10 PM

+1

goodiesguy
30-05-2011, 10:21 PM

I used it for about 5 months when all i had was a mac.

My dad also now has a mac, and both were/are pain in the arse's.

icow
30-05-2011, 10:29 PM
http://m.lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

I believe that there is now a link to any updated page on that page. Still I recommend reading the original guide.

@ goodiesguy: 5 minutes of use time makes you so qualified to judge and OS

:pf1mobmini:

goodiesguy
30-05-2011, 10:31 PM
http://m.lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

I believe that there is now a link to any updated page on that page. Still I recommend reading the original guide.

@ goodiesguy: 5 minutes of use time makes you so qualified to judge and OS

You realize i said 5 Months if not more?

icow
30-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Edit: sorry gg miss read ur post

I'm guessing you obviously went into those five months of Mac use with a neutral attitude (sarcasm)

goodiesguy
30-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Edit: sorry gg miss read ur post

I'm guessing you obviously went into those five months of Mac use with a neutral attitude (sarcasm)

I was actually really excited about using a mac, as it seemed like a really good computer.

This was before i hated macs. The mac i had made me hate macs.

mikebartnz
30-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I was actually really excited about using a mac, as it seemed like a really good computer.

This was before i hated macs. The mac i had made me hate macs.
I would be interested to know why as I know several teenagers that have switched and believe it was a good move. Is it because it is not Windows and presented you with a learning curve.

goodiesguy
30-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I would be interested to know why as I know several teenagers that have switched and believe it was a good move. Is it because it is not Windows and presented you with a learning curve.

I just didn't like the operating system, and even though i know my way around it, i still don't like it.

It just is odd and not fundamental to me.

I prefer windows, as i've used it from an extremely young age, so i know the in's and outs and know where things are stored etc..

Mac OS is just an annoying operating system to me. I just don't like it.

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm fine with OSX (and the older Mac OS too), apart from the window buttons being on the wrong side, it's the overpriced hardware side of Apples that I don't like so much.

bot
31-05-2011, 01:03 AM
I just didn't like the operating system, and even though i know my way around it, i still don't like it.

It just is odd and not fundamental to me.

I prefer windows, as i've used it from an extremely young age, so i know the in's and outs and know where things are stored etc..

Mac OS is just an annoying operating system to me. I just don't like it.

You get used to it after a while. I once had to use a iMac G3 with OSX 10.3. Slow in some parts but definitely faster than an equiv. Windows machine. HDD a bit noisy though.

goodiesguy
31-05-2011, 01:28 AM
You get used to it after a while. I once had to use a iMac G3 with OSX 10.3. Slow in some parts but definitely faster than an equiv. Windows machine. HDD a bit noisy though.

Thats exactly the kind of mac i had, and it ran 10.3 aswell.

bot
31-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Thats exactly the kind of mac i had, and it ran 10.3 aswell.

Well then you haven't tried the new macs. Although I daresay that Apple still needs to learn how to design mice.

Agent_24
31-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Who cares, they're USB now, just plug in a normal one

goodiesguy
31-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Well then you haven't tried the new macs. Although I daresay that Apple still needs to learn how to design mice.

My dads computer is a newer mac and runs 10.5, and it's still annoying and a pain in the arse.

I've used my uncles ipad, iphone and his mac which is all the latest, and they are pains in the arses too.

bot
31-05-2011, 01:43 AM
My dads computer is a newer mac and runs 10.5, and it's still annoying and a pain in the arse.

I've used my uncles ipad, iphone and his mac which is all the latest, and they are pains in the arses too.

I like iPhones and wouldn't mind an iPad.

Anyway, it's getting late. I think I deserve an early bedtime. You do too.

Alex B
31-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Millions disagree, but thanks for the troll.

bk T
31-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I have at least 3 friends who bought a Macbook and within a month, changed to Windows OS!

mikebartnz
31-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I have at least 3 friends who bought a Macbook and within a month, changed to Windows OS!
What were the reasons, that it wasn't Windows?

bk T
31-05-2011, 12:18 PM
What were the reasons, that it wasn't Windows?

According to them, it's just not user friendly - maybe, we're used to Windows!

When I asked why did they buy it in the first place, their answers are quite similar, something like this:

"It looks good (appearance) and it's expensive - so it must be good!"

icow
31-05-2011, 01:56 PM

When I asked why did they buy it in the first place, their answers are quite similar, something like this:

Last time i checked Mac was the most user friendly OS there is.

mikebartnz
31-05-2011, 03:43 PM

So I was basically right in that it wasn't Windows. They had done things a certain way for so long and weren't prepared to put the effort in to learn something new.
When you stop learning you might as well stop living.:D

plod
31-05-2011, 06:13 PM
So I was basically right in that it wasn't Windows. They had done things a certain way for so long and weren't prepared to put the effort in to learn something new.
When you stop learning you might as well stop living.:D

Exactly, osx was pretty easy for me to pick up. Just don't treat it like windows. I now know osx better then windows but still try and keep my hands in both

bk T
31-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't own a Mac myself and no access to OSX - only briefly got a feel of it but frankly, don't like it.

berryb
31-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I was a Windows user for years and now use both out of necessity. Yes OSX takes some getting used to after using Windows for so long. When working on both platforms I have thought why this is so hard when it is simple on the other platform – swings and roundabouts with both.

Windows is still my preferred OS though.

zqwerty
31-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I used OS 9.2 for a while, sad thing that it was, like a poor man's version of Win95.

johnd
31-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Nothing wrong with Apple systems except they are proprietary and expensive! That is why I use Linux!

Deimos
31-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Millions disagree, but thanks for the troll.

Millions disagree, but almost a billion agree, so who is the troll?

The fact of the matter is, computers suck, just pick the one you think sucks less and [edited].

mikebartnz
01-06-2011, 03:24 AM

The fact of the matter is, computers suck, just pick the one you think sucks less and [edited]
You obviously have [edited] as the billions wouldn't have a clue what they were buying so ****.

mikebartnz
01-06-2011, 03:27 AM
I don't own a Mac myself and no access to OSX - only briefly got a feel of it but frankly, don't like it.
Once again it isn't Windows so not a very intelligent comment.

Deimos
01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
You obviously have [edited] as the billions wouldn't have a clue what they were buying so ****.

and the same doesn't apply to mac users? your logic is flawed.

plod
01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
and the same doesn't apply to mac users? your logic is flawed.

I would say most mac users, were windows users previously. And had done their homework before purchasing the mac. This purely based on my personal observations over the past 7 years.

Deimos
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Working in the industry, my person experience is that most computer users are not tech savvy in the least, then there is the 10% of people who are tech experts (regardless of whether they work in IT or not) who pick based on preference, and usage habits.

Mac users in the business field are usually in a design based industry (all my clients who had more than 0 macs were in a design sector such as architecture, film etc, and some of those clients have a Windows/Mac ratio that reflects the real world).

And of the home user clients most of them seemed to only have macs because of either eliteism, or some disillusion that macs were somehow better.

Very rarely I come across a mac user that doesn't exhibit some kind of fanboism.

I use both every day, my preference is Windows because I do office based tasks such as sending emails, creating legal documents, accounting, and I play games, all of which Windows does exeptionally well.

And I will reiterate my earlier point, BOTH OSes SUCK, there is always some limitation or annoyance, just pick one and get over yourself.

Alex B
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM

The fact of the matter is, computers suck, just pick the one you think sucks less and [edited].

Correction: Billions don't know any better.

And who ever it was, thanks for the comment on OS9, I didn't really like windows 95/98 but I'm not silly enough to compare it to Windows 7.

bk T
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I would say most mac users, were windows users previously. And had done their homework before purchasing the mac. This purely based on my personal observations over the past 7 years.

Don't quite agree. My observation is that, most Mac owners DON'T do their home work before purchasing it. They bought it because Macs look good, neat and tidy and most importantly, they are more expensive than Windows based PCs and therefore they must be better. You will be surprised to find that lots of people think that when it is more expensive, it must be better! It may sound silly but they are people having that sort of thinking.

Agent_24
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I think a lot of people use Macs because they are very easy to use and don't really require much of an understanding of computers.

Your point of "it's expensive so it must be good" holds up pretty well too though.

Alex B
01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
When people start going on about the cost, it just sounds like tall poppy syndrome to me. You can spend just as much if not more on a PC, look at the cost of an brandname desktop system with a screen as good as the iMac's, the iMac is actually quite comparable if not cheaper.

Laptops, yip not cheap for the most part, but take things like quality of build into account and they aint that bad.

Agent_24
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
If you're a fool who pays for brand name systems...

mikebartnz
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Don't quite agree. My observation is that, most Mac owners DON'T do their home work before purchasing it.
You are welcome to your opinion.:rolleyes:

goodiesguy
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM

+1 :clap

Alex B
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Welcome to the real world. Not everyone is a computer expert or even slightly interested in computers for that matter.

LynX
02-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Nothing wrong with Apple systems except they are proprietary and expensive! That is why I use Linux!

The beauty with Macs lies in the fact that they are propretary. At least, that's the reason why a Macbook can get up to 9 hours of battery life, while most other laptops are struggling to hit 4 hours (except for ultraportables and netbooks of course).

But on the other hand, I honestly have no idea why anyone would buy a Mac. As it turn out, a lot of people around me have Macs! What's going on?

Agent_24
02-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Welcome to the real world. Not everyone is a computer expert or even slightly interested in computers for that matter.

Then that's their problem if they buy an overpriced system pre-loaded with bloated cruft.

But the fact is that it IS possible to build a system which uses good quality parts and which is cheaper than a Mac or a brand name PC.

There are also people who built 'Hackintosh' systems with the same specifications as a real Mac, benchmarked the two and found the clone to be faster (And something like half the price)

icow
02-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I hate it when people say that macs are overpirced. Even though the price tag is large to start with they basically go out of the box. Unlike some windows computers.
http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8932/k52jc-ex352v-notebook
http://dicksmith.co.nz/computers/apple-computers/macbook

The mac completely out performs the asus and only $200 more (not adding on anti-virus etc etc)

They're not actually that overpriced, and at least you get quality parts.

Then that's their problem if they buy an overpriced system pre-loaded with bloated cruft.
I believe HP and Hell are kings of bloatware, imo mac does have any

But the fact is that it IS possible to build a system which uses good quality parts and which is cheaper than a Mac or a brand name PC.
I do agree with this completely tho +1

wainuitech
02-06-2011, 04:49 PM
The mac completely out performs the asus and only $200 more (not adding on anti-virus etc etc)

They're not actually that overpriced, and at least you get quality parts.
Really?? :confused:

Did you actually look at the Spec's of both.

The Asus has a HDD twice the capacity , twice the Amount of Memory, a better more modern CPU ( a Intel Core i5-460M will blow away the Intel Core 2 Duo in the MAC), Larger screen on the ASUS.

About the only thing bigger/larger in the MAC is the possible battery Life.

icow
02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
imo p8600 out performs the 460m

bot
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm assuming that the extra $200 goes towards the excess steel apple uses.

Alex B
02-06-2011, 05:47 PM
?? Not sure if serious....

gary67
02-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Fool! It's for that ultra exclusive white paint they use

wainuitech
02-06-2011, 06:52 PM
imo p8600 out performs the 460m

All it says is Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 which may or may not be a P8600, cant be bothered looking it up to the different versions.

What it does say though is the MAC has a 250GB HDD, and 2 GB RAM, half of the ASUS. power and speed is not always required.

Doesn't really matter anyway, MAC's are still over priced for what they are.

LynX
02-06-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm not sure about this, but only Apple MacBook Pro and Air uses aluminium. It seems like standard Macbooks still use the polymers.

http://www.apple.com/nz/macbook/design.html

Polycarbonate; that's the one.

Still better than my laptop's cheap-and-nasty ABS, I guess.

Alex B
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
^ Exactly, compare the pricing to the likes of an HP Elitebook, or something else of similar build quality (samsung series 9 or what ever it is), all of a sudden they don't look over priced

icow
03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Lol HP at a similar build quality. I 'suppose the probooks aren't too bad. The series 9 netbook is sooooooooo expensive.

icow
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
twice the Amount of Memory, a better more modern CPU ( a Intel Core i5-460M will blow away the Intel Core 2 Duo in the MAC)

All it says is Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 which may or may not be a P8600, cant be bothered looking it up to the different versions.

What it does say though is the MAC has a 250GB HDD, and 2 GB RAM, half of the ASUS. power and speed is not always required.

Doesn't really matter anyway, MAC's are still over priced for what they are.

They seem to be quite different statements, and I can tell you that the Macbook ships standard with the P8600.

I will give you that the Asus has more RAM (they both have 1066mhz ram). But then again "power and speed is not always required."

However it is let down by the 310GT (or 310M) which is one of the biggest pile of sh*t graphics cards I have ever seen in a laptop. The 320M (even though I believe is only 1 card up) blows the 310M away.

Generally I research things before I knock them, just saying.

That is just ignorance.

Alex B
03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Lol HP at a similar build quality. I 'suppose the probooks aren't too bad. The series 9 netbook is sooooooooo expensive.

Elitebook not Probook, not that the ProBook is exactly of poor build quality, but it's still plastic.

icow
03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
My bad. Got them confused.