PDA

View Full Version : Windows hang up on shutdown

07-10-2001, 04:10 PM
My PC sometimes fails to shutdown when it has been on line for a substantial period (one hour plus. As a consequence, it goes through the lengthy 'scan disc for errors' process when I reboot.
This never occurs when the PC has only been on line for relatively short periods (less than an hour). I am using Windows 98 and IE 5.5.
Any suggestions as to how I can avoid this irritating problem?

07-10-2001, 05:13 PM
Is it only when you are online or if the machine is one for some time?
Before you shut down do the ctrl-alt -del and look at your tasks running try killing all tasks except explorer and systray and then see if it shuts down. If it is a task use a process of elimination to track down which one. Once found seach the net to find out what it does and maybe even reinstall the program.
Check your device manager to see if any device reports errors.
May even be spyware or trojan that uses internet connection. Download adaware from www.lavasoftusa.com and scan your machine, also check your anti-virus and update virus sigs and do full scan.
Hope this helps.
chrs
tee-em

07-10-2001, 05:28 PM
Could this be after you have used a download manager? these usually contain 'spyware'

07-10-2001, 07:04 PM
In my opinion it comes back to the easy one... www.windowsupdate.com (PRODUCT UPDATES) this will probably tell you to download critical files especially win98 shutdown fixes.

Scotty