PDA

View Full Version : Acer laptop, vista with a half gig of ram

Tbird650
27-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi good people

I have an acer extensa 5210 that I have to get going and make usable for its' owner. It has a ridiculously low amount of memory. 512mb

It runs 53 processes just sitting idle, so, yep it's a snail. Painfully slow!

So I ask the question: what can I get rid of with all this acer clutter it has?
Can I weed out:
Acer edata
Acer elock manager
Acer empowering technology
Acer enet management
Acer epower managerment
Acer esettings
Acer gridvista
Acer mobility centre plugin
Activation assistant for 2007 office suite
Launch manager
Business contact manager for outlook 2007
NTi backup, shadow & dvd
Power DVD

These listed are suspect and I present them for scrutiny and discussion.
A question someone asked was would removal of any of these programs affect acer recovery from hidden partition?

Thanks for reading and your participation.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2011, 07:49 PM
No removing those entries in startup shouldn't affect whats in the hidden partition. If you restore the system, they'll be in startup again

ruup
27-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi,best solution would be to buy some more ram for it, can be quite reasonable as far as price goes.Removing those programmes will have only a minor effect on the speed.Good luck with it.

Cheers

Tbird650
27-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I originally disabled all the startup items but some either wouldn't disable or appeared after reboot again.
So I was thinking of uninstalling the programs.
At present the startup items in question are:

erecovery
igfxtray
hotkeyscmds
persistence
rthdvcpl

If it were over to me I'd throw a couple of gig at it and be done with it.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2011, 09:07 PM
type them in here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/)

Tbird650
28-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Speedy, thanks, that's a good site.
I made a gain there with turning some things off.

One strange thing with the sound. It only works if I plug in external speakers.
According to the manual, sound automatically swaps from inbuilt speakers to external by plugging in at the jack point. It seems to be pointing to the speakers hardware as the issue, or could it still be software based?
Any thoughts please?

I've updated the driver from the US based acer website as well.

Tbird650
28-05-2011, 12:12 AM
One more thing is that in windows services, the "e" acer items, namely edata security, elock, enet, epower, erecovery & esettings are all set to automatic start. Any thoughts on killing these at this level?

Agent_24
28-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Follow ruup's advice and get more RAM. 512MB is pretty bad for Vista or Win7, in fact it's not even very good for XP anymore especially with the bloated programs everyone makes these days...

Of course that's not to say you shouldn't try to remove as much of the Acer crap as well...

Tbird650
28-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I totally agree with you 24. If it were over to me it would be already done.
..... it's not mine or my decision.
I'll talk to the owner and make the appropriate recommendations of course.

Any thought on the speakers issue? ..or am I just chasing my tail.

Is the microsoft office 2007 simply a trial version? It asks for a product key. Can I ditch this suite without issue?
No doubt it's an arm and 2 legs to buy...?

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Uninstall whatever trials, theyre just a waste of space

Agent_24
28-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Even the trial versions of Office have a product key and require activation. The machine would have come with a CD and\or key for Office.

If it is a trial you could of course try OpenOffice instead, that's what I use now.

Be careful of disabling too many things though, some may do things like manage hotkeys or other such 'useful' features. For example my Toshiba must have at least 3 certain programs running for all the features like that to work.

As for the speakers it could be anything, bad hardware or even a software issue. Have you tried updating the drivers? Is there a manual volume control for them? Or a hotkey to disable them? Or even, (stupidly enough) a program that must be running for them to work?

Alex B
28-05-2011, 05:37 PM
You're basically wasting your time until you chuck another gig or two of ram in.

As for the speakers, i'd squirt a little bit of contact cleaner in the headphone port and put a headphone plug in and out 10-20 times see if that fixes it.

Tbird650
29-05-2011, 12:19 AM
24. Have updated the driver. There's no manual volume control that I can find nor any mention in the manual. There is a hotkey fn+f8 but it mutes the sound and places a red bar over the sound icon at the same time. Re a program necessary for inbuilt speakers to work... have pondered over that but haven't found any mention with google or in the manual. Certainly the laptop will message that a speaker jack has been inserted.

Alex, I like the idea of a squirt of contact cleaner. Am gonna try that one shortly.

Thanks