PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to update drivers?

ruup
27-05-2011, 01:27 PM
How important is it to update drivers?

Is it important to have the latest drivers? If the computer is running well should I download and install the latest drivers or is it a case of if it isn't broken don't fix it?

A programme I'm trying says I need 13 updates... :help:

wainuitech
27-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Personally if it ant broke, dont fix it :)

Sometimes with the latest drivers there may be features added, or previous bugs fixed, but the latest drivers can also cause problems that weren't there previously.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2011, 01:39 PM
And dont rely on programs. Go and look yourself

dugimodo
27-05-2011, 02:40 PM

+1

Drivers you update if you are having problems or occasionally to increase performance, not really any other reason too.

If the updates are windows security updates on the other hand you should keep those up to date.

pctek
27-05-2011, 03:15 PM

+1.

Except perhaps GPU drivers from the manufacturer. They can increase performance. Not that you'd notice though so unless there is a problem with the driver, leave them alone.

dugimodo - the same thing can apply to Windows updates too - not a terribly uncommon occurence for one to break something else.

dugimodo
27-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Agreed pctek, however I specifically said security updates, not getting those can leave you vunerable to malicious software and the like.

Myself I don't follow my own advice, I update everything on a fairly regular basis :)
And while it does occasionally cause issues sometimes you find a minor problem you were putting up with has magically gone away at some point.