PDA

View Full Version : Frozen system while on internet.

07-10-2001, 03:12 PM
About a week ago, my system (PIII 733 MHz, 128 RAM)kept on freezing while on the internet. I would have to reboot, very frustrating. I contacted the tech support of my PC's vendor. They suggested to add into the 'extra settings' in my modem setup the following string: AT+MS=V34

I did this and it solved the 'freezing' problem. However, my system shows I'm running at 33600 bps, & surfing is a fraction slower than before when it was 52000 bps. Isn't V34 related to the old 14400 & 28800 modems? How can I get back to surfing at 52000 bps without freezing my system?

I did an experiment by substituting V34 with V90, my surfing sped up but froze.

07-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Correct, is is the same as the odler modems. It sounds like you have a 'winmodem', most if not all of these are very troublesome. Try a different modem and see if that makes a difference?

07-10-2001, 04:41 PM
...this suggestion will have to fit into the 'obscure' solution category - but it worked for me. It might be worth a try before spending any money on another modem.

Visit the home page of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and check to see if there is a choice of phone numbers that can be used.

Perhaps there is a local (City) number as well a National number.

Try experimenting with the alternative number/s and see if that solves your problem.

Within the past year I began experiencing unexplained system freezes when on-line and went through the usual gamut of troubleshooting:

Reinstall the Browser, tried different Browsers, checked all the IRQ settings, new video card, install and try new and different modems (3 to be exact), sent my system in for workbench testing, and reformatted more times than I care to think about.

My ISP, system retailer and everyone I asked were stumped.

Then, one day, and quite by accident, I happened to change the dial-in number to my ISP ... and the problem was solved.

On occasion I have re-entered the original number and my system will again freeze within a short space of time.

Quite why this happens I don't know - and it has the technicians at my ISP stumped as well - so I use an alternative phone number.

I use the latest build of IE5.5 (SP1 - *not* SP2) with Windows98SE. The system is stable and my Browser functions without fault.

Best wishes for finding your solution.

Cheers !!!

e_

07-10-2001, 07:12 PM
My favorite answer is:

Have you done a windows-update?

www.windowsupdate.com (PRODUCT UPDATES)

08-10-2001, 01:47 PM
go to the zfree web site (www.zfree.co.nz) and fo to the help section.They will have all the answers you need.