PDA

View Full Version : Export emails from Outlook Express 6 before reformat?

07-10-2001, 01:34 PM
I want to reformat my computer and would like to know, it is possible to save/transfer the emails messages that I have in my Outlook Express 6 email program? How? There is no option of exporting messages to anywhere other than Outlook and Microsoft Exchange in the file menu. I would like for example, to save the emails to a folder on my computer so I can then transfer to another computer while I reformat. Thanks in advance.

07-10-2001, 02:23 PM
To Back Up the Windows Address Book, click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders. In the Named box, type '*.wab' (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now. Copy the USERNAME.wab file to another folder or disk.

To Back Up Mail folders, click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders. In the Named box, type '*.mbx' (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now. For each mail folder that you want to create a backup copy of, copy the corresponding FILENAME.mbx file. For example, the Inbox.mbx file is the Inbox folder.

To Restore the Windows Address Book or Mail folders, restore these files to their original location.

07-10-2001, 02:24 PM
Hello Ian,
Just copy your C:\windows\application data folder, this folder contains all of your mail messages plus your address book and other custom settings you may want to restore.
when it comes time to restore your mail just use the import function in OE6 and navigate to your backed up folder.

Alan

07-10-2001, 03:03 PM
Cheers Alan. That was exactly the info that I was after. Thanks mate. Regards Ian :-)

07-10-2001, 07:32 PM
All you need to do is right click on eg. Inbox and properties will tell you location of folder which is changeable.

07-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Anyone can do it the easy way! Good work Alan.