View Full Version : cheaper alternatives to Teamveiwer etc

26-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi there
What are some suggestions for cheaper alternatives to Teamveiwer etc for
remote support

-preferably doesnt need pre-installed client, access via IE etc
-dont need separate licence for each one off use on different PC
-ie veiwer is licenced , not the PC's being remotely accessed
-NAT passthrough : don not want to have to try & talk through opening modem/router ports over the phone

This one looks promising, licensing cost wise at least
anyone using it??
http://www.crossloop.com/mktg/learnmore_pro?src=compare

CYaBro
26-05-2011, 05:23 PM
UltraVNC single-click?
http://www.uvnc.com/products/uvnc-sc.html
It's free! :D

I'm busy looking at ScreenConnect (you can see their ad on the uvnc website) and looks good so far.
Pay once with no monthly or annual fee unless you want to upgrade to a new version then you get a good discount.

26-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I had a quick look at screen connect
It needs ports opened on the remote end, making it neer worthless for ad-hoc one off remote support.

I think i looked at UltraVNC single-click a while back. Not sure about the reliabilty (of nat passthrough) & looks a bit complex too configure??
Must I read the instructions ?? :punk :punk

wainuitech
26-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Would you be using Team Viewer in a business, as in all the time, offering remote support ?

If not then its free for personal Use. Only thing you get is a pop-up at the end of the session stating its the free version.

CYaBro
26-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I had a quick look at screen connect
It needs ports opened on the remote end, making it neer worthless for ad-hoc one off remote support.

I think i looked at UltraVNC single-click a while back. Not sure about the reliabilty (of nat passthrough) & looks a bit complex too configure??
Must I read the instructions ?? :punk :punk

ScreenConnect does not need ports open at the remote end.
It is a self-hosted app meaning that whereever you decide to host the server side yourself (you can host on your own server or get someone to host it for you) you will need to open ports for that server only and only once.
Once it is all setup you don't need to worry about it again.
All other connections made by you, or your support team, and the end user don't need any other ports open.

berryb
26-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I'd be interested in this as well. I use Teamviewer often (sometimes once or twice a day) and starting to get the message about "am I using for commercial use". Most of my clients are personal but I am not. I have looked at purchasing but price a bit rich for me so another option would be good. Teamviewer is great and should put the price down to a realistic level for a small business as my own and I would purchase it.

berryb
27-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Just setup ScreenConnect and looks easy enough to use. Have installed on a server 2008 box. Had to install the IIS role and change the binding to another port than 80 as I want ScreenConnect on port 80. Configure the config file to use ports 80 and 443, open port 80 and 443 to the sever on the router and away it went.

Now just how secure it is we will see but it's running on a test system so can't kill much!!

Have a month free trial so will give it a go.

dugimodo
27-05-2011, 02:49 PM
probably a stupid question but is windows built in remote desktop not a viable option? I haven't used it myself but I know it's there and I notice no one ever seems to mention it ?

27-05-2011, 03:52 PM
probably a stupid question but is windows built in remote desktop not a viable option? I haven't used it myself but I know it's there and I notice no one ever seems to mention it ?

if its been preconfigured & pre-tested then thats still the best way.
I use RDC often for existing clients.

Not really a viable option for one-off use , trying to talk through the other end how to find their PC name(or network IP), their internet IP, config port forwarding in the router , resolve access issues (eg add users to remote access), even trying to get a vaild login & pass for that remote PC can be extremely painfull process. "I dont have a login name"
It also sometimes has issues where Win user has no login pass.

The beauty of teamveiwer is, they download & run a small program, give you the 2 codes it spits out & you're onto their PC.
Very expensive though.

zqwerty
28-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe this:

TightVNC 2.0.3 - http://www.majorgeeks.com/TightVNC_d6991.html

I haven't tried it but it seems promising.

TightVNC is a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. TightVNC is:

# free for both personal and commercial usage, with full source code available,
# useful in administration, tech support, education, and for many other purposes,
# cross-platform, available for Windows and Unix, with Java client included,
# compatible with standard VNC software, conforming to RFB protocol specifications.

With TightVNC, you can:

# cut your expenses and save your time on traveling,
help your friends and family to solve problems with their computers remotely,
# make sure nothing wrong is happening on your computers when you are away.

berryb
31-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Well I have used the Screenconnect software a few times now and works OK. Got the job done and speed wasn't to bad. One connection was a bit laggy but was probably just the time of day. I get that with Teamviewer sometimes - in fact when I think about often lately.

Wainuitech - do I recall you posting sometime ago that you contacted Teamviewer about using their software in a small business helping personal clients and they said it was OK? Reading there Terms and Conditions it's a no no.

As remote support is being used more often I will need to find a legit why to achieve this. Screenconnect is a one off cost approx $350.00 NZ and I can easily charge a remote support fee.

CYaBro
31-05-2011, 10:23 PM
There is also www.ammyy.com.

:pf1mobmini:

berryb
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Just checked the ammyy.com website and it looks interesting but lacking information. Doesn't say if it supports Linux and Mac. Appears you can install it as your own private router as per Screenconnect otherwise all data goes via Germany. Their support forum is full of un-answered questions but this could just be an outlet for the free users.

CYaBro - Are you looking for options also.

CYaBro
01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Yea I'm also looking for something.
We used to use Zolved a few years ago but haven't tried it since win7 has been out.
http://www.zolved.com/remote_control
It's based on ultravnc so free.

:pf1mobmini:

Gobe1
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Also logmein has a free version
i use it to support our Ozzy office regularly

CYaBro
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Also logmein has a free version
i use it to support our Ozzy office regularly

Yea the free LogMeIn is great and I use it all the time for regular PCs that need remote access but for those one off connections you don't want to have to install anything.

gary67
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I use teamviewer from my upstairs working computer to control the downstairs workshop computer that runs my Reprap printer it works very well I even have a webcam setup downstairs so I can check the machine as well

tuiruru
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Is this (http://www.filehippo.com/download_hamachi/) any use?

berryb
01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok I have looked at the products suggested here and have come back to ScreenConnect.

1. I like the idea of one off purchase that will not break the bank.
2. Local hosting – I have it running off a test server in my office no worries.
3. Offer remote support via web browser from any location – I’m on the road a lot don’t want to be installing software on clients computers.
4. Works with Mac and Linux – Ok will be trying Mac tomorrow and will have to find someone to test with Linux - don’t support it so doesn’t matter
5. Support answer their email promptly
6. Ability to have a permanent connection to computers
7. Tool Box for quick links to commands and files.

Teamviewer is just too costly but has plenty of options.

Logmein free just will not cut it for multiple connections, other versions costly.

Zolved is only Windows based

Ammyy Admin – as per my other post.

Crossloop looks interesting and cost effective. Needs admin rights to install the software though but may be worth further investigation.

tuiruru
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Ok I have looked at the products suggested here and have come back to ScreenConnect.

3. Offer remote support via web browser from any location – I’m on the road a lot don’t want to be installing software on clients computers.
4. Works with Mac and Linux – Ok will be trying Mac tomorrow and will have to find someone to test with Linux - don’t support it so doesn’t matter

Logmein free just will not cut it for multiple connections, other versions costly.

Crossloop looks interesting and cost effective. Needs admin rights to install the software though but may be worth further investigation.

It's good when people get back with their "results" berryb - thanks for the update :thumbs:

zqwerty
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Here's another possibility:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ThinVNC_d6710.html

berryb
02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Here is a list of remote software from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
Don't think it is really up to date and I'm not about to check them all out but may be useful for someone.

03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's another link to someone who has tried many of these
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/remotectrl.html

turns out some dont play well with Win7, others need Win firewall &/or router ports opened manually (making it useless for 1 off remote support)
Many in the list WILL NOT give pricing: good way to loose sales, what are you
trying to hide.

Will be testing the cheaper options next week. Probly go with one of the ones recommended earlier

janett
24-06-2011, 10:37 AM

agree with your conclusion.

Another local hosting option is appliance. Bomgar, RHUB and Juniper all have remote support/access appliance.

Bomgar is large enterprise-class. kind of pricy.

RHUB is cost effective. good for small medium business.

Juniper has nice add-on appliances.