PDA

View Full Version : underclock (too) hot vid cards

26-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi there.
I have quite a few fanless ATI HD5540 (& similar) vid cards installed in workstations.
They are running far too hot. I think they will actually damage
the motherboard from the heat (unofficially admitted to by the supplier) & I think this has happened on at least one PC -thankfully this PC has since be upgraded.

Are they going to be reasonably easy to underclock & will this drop the heat significantly ?? Can I do this via the ATI software, or do I need 3rd party software.
They are all business workstations, no gaming etc.
I bought fanless after the issues with vid fans failing & being impractical/expensive to get a replacement vid heatsink/fan. These workstation are left running 24/7.

dugimodo
26-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I can"t check from here but I'm fairly certain the catalyst control centre would let you reduce the clock speed, it certainly has a slider that goes both ways for my HD 4850. If you really want to lower the temperatures you may want to tweak the voltages down a little also if thats possible.

Do the pc cases in question have any airflow at all ?

SolMiester
26-05-2011, 04:14 PM
GPU take a lot of beating.....modern cards go up to 90+c......I would get HWmonitor or something to check the temps!

26-05-2011, 04:42 PM
GPU is fine
motherboard is getting cooked around the PCIe slot from heat coming down the card.
I tested temps with the accurate finger burny method.

dugimodo
26-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Do you actually need discrete graphics cards ? A future solution might be to use machines with onboard graphics.

And to expand my earlier question, does the case have any airflow or can you add it? a case fan is much more easily added and replaced than a graphics one, even a pci slot extractor fan if the case has space.

And as to your original question, underclocking should help a bit but I imagine 1 of 2 situations;
1. You are stressing the card to make it hot and underclocking will degrade performance
2. the card is too hot even at idle in which case undeclocking may not do much

26-05-2011, 05:51 PM
The PC has a descent case fan, airflow is average.
Vid Cards were installed as users needed dual monitors.
Vid Cards are getting hot on idle, just running basic Word , Excel, Outlook etc.

pci slot extractor fan may be the only solution then. :thanks

Last time I buy fanless vid cards :badpc::badpc:

pctek
26-05-2011, 06:07 PM
This is why fanless is a silly idea. can you add a fan to them?

qazwsxokmijn
26-05-2011, 09:08 PM
A low speed 80mm fan should do the job.