PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: multi-monitors

smithinator
25-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi
I was just wondering could i run 2 22" 1680x1050 and a single 22-24" 1920x1080 monitor on a HD 5850?

since they are different resolutions i don't want to use eyefinity can i just use the HD monitor as the "main monitor" and the other two just as secondary monitors that i can drop windows to when needed?

I plan to run the two 1680x1050 monitors through the two DVI ports and the HD monitor through the HDMI port on the HD 5850, will this allow me to have the above setup?

also i do game a lot, when i do can i turn off the 2 secondary monitors and only run the game through the HD monitor so the GPU isn't trying to run all of the monitors?

sorry if some of the questions are a bit basic or not explained very well i've never had a multi-monitor setup before and don't know much about them or what to expect, if you need any more info ill try my best to get it for you.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, it will work :)

Not sure about the "turning off the secondary display". It'll be doing SFA if you just have a static desktop screen or whatever on it so it shouldn't impede performance more than maybe 1-2fps tops (Depending on whats going on, on it).

Just plug it in and give it a shot, what've you got to loose?

SolMiester
25-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, that will work fine, although because you dont run the same resolutions across all the monitors your GPU idle speed and power draw will be higher than normal as the GPU works to develop 2 different resolutons.
While gaming, the if using the HD screen the 2 outer panel should just fade to black with no signal..
If you wanted to be able to show FPS, temps etc on the outer panels while gaming on the middle panel, you are best to get a cheap GPU for the outers panels.

smithinator
25-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your quick replies, i haven't got the monitors yet so i cant try it out. will there be any noticeable problems occurring while using two different resolutions during everyday use? if there was any performance impact on games i have no problem disconnecting the two outer panels while gaming so that shouldn't be a problem.

SolMiester
25-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I dont think you would want to run ghetto eyefinity, and you have to enable that anyway, so by default, any gaming will default to the monitor of choice (which is a good point, dont know how you would select that, maybe in CCC control panel), anyway, Im quite sure the unused monitor will go to sleep.
As for productivity, you wont have any issues, I have 3 monitor here, 2 x 22 and a 17 on the far right which has Outlook running in it!

DeSade
25-05-2011, 03:27 PM
One thing to remember and it annoys me every time.......

If you are using Extend Desktop (and you probably are) then your mouse can and will jump between screens if you are too aggressive with moving it if the other monitors are active.

In most games that is enough to kill you very fast.

smithinator
25-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Thank you all for all of your help :)

hueybot3000
25-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a 5850, 3 monitors. One 1920x1080, One 1920x1200 and One 1280x1024. The 1920x1200 is my main monitors, any full screen game will run on the main display and keep the others looking at desktop. So I can have a movie or whatever running on the other hd screen and resource usage etc on the smaller screen. No problems with anything so far