PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Monitoring

DeSade
24-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I got a nasty over-use bill today and I was wondering how I could monitor it better.

The amount is 66gig which really does seem impossible to go over by but I am not the only one downloading here.

I would like something that can monitor the traffic and put restrictions on certain computers downloading certain content.

Incidentally is there any way to know if all that usage was ours?

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Networx might monitor whatever. Dont know if it restricts tho. I've never used it

wainuitech
24-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Depending on what router you have, you can limit the traffic to specific PC's. What sort of router Make and model, do you have ?

DeSade
25-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Orcon Home Hub

Mirddes
25-05-2011, 01:02 AM
http://www.tuc.co.nz/index.php?page=download

DeSade
25-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Cheers
I'll try it tomorrow

Netsukeninja
25-05-2011, 01:26 AM
I use the netusage http://netusage.iau5.com/ addon for firefox to monitor my overall usage and have installed Networx on all computers so I can track who is using the most data. the netusage addon doesn't require your orcon password, just your username and bw allocation

Snorkbox
25-05-2011, 01:53 AM
I use TUC but it will not limit usage at all. It will log what's coming through the router though. I have it set to log usage every two hours.

dpDesignz
25-05-2011, 10:43 AM
another one you can use is network magic by Cisco http://www.purenetworks.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?src=google&gclid=CL6fkJTHgakCFQH1bwodD0KkTA&kw=network+magic

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Ditch the Home Hub, you can't monitor jack with it.
You want a router-based solution, software solutions are flaky and miss things, such as Smartphones, Playstations / Xboxes etc

You've got two choices:
1) Something such as the WRT54GL running Gargoyle
2) WebGauge - Made by one of our very own PF1'ers

AvonBill
25-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I've been thinking about building a Smoothwall Firewall from an old PC for this sort of thing as I have many devices accessing the Internet at home. Anyone else done this? Seems to have all the monitoring you would ever want in a SOHO even with the free express version. It would be an interesting little project.

SolMiester
25-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I've been thinking about building a Smoothwall Firewall from an old PC for this sort of thing as I have many devices accessing the Internet at home. Anyone else done this? Seems to have all the monitoring you would ever want in a SOHO even with the free express version. It would be an interesting little project.

Yeah, i did that once, an old Dell Gx150 or something, only trouble was, its fan werent the best so made a bit of noise and a decided i didnt need a 2nd box in the office.

DeSade
25-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Ditch the Home Hub, you can't monitor jack with it.
You want a router-based solution, software solutions are flaky and miss things, such as Smartphones, Playstations / Xboxes etc

You've got two choices:
1) Something such as the WRT54GL running Gargoyle
2) WebGauge - Made by one of our very own PF1'ers

I had one of those net something's that you recommend often (BTW this is nothing against you at all) but it had a issue that no one could tell me the cause of or how to fix it.

The Hub has worked very well since we got it, decent speed and good uptime.

Not sure I want to spend my fund on a new router.....

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2011, 02:30 PM
NetComm NB6Plus4Wn routers? What was the issue? I don't remember this?

Anyways, I figure it like this:
WRT45GL = $130-ish
66GB of overage charges @ $2 per-GB = $132

;)

SolMiester
25-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Im sure you could put smoothwall or untangle in front of the router and that would give you heaps of traffic options and reporting....all you need is an old PC

DeSade
25-05-2011, 03:20 PM
NetComm NB6Plus4Wn routers? What was the issue? I don't remember this?

Anyways, I figure it like this:
WRT45GL = $130-ish
66GB of overage charges @ $2 per-GB = $132

;)

Not sure if I am describing it right but I'll have a go.

There was a delay between the modem and the internet so every packet was slowed by this delay.

Doesn't happen with any other router that I tried so its not the PC's. In the end I gave up on it, gave it away and got the hub.

fred_fish
25-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah, i did that once, an old Dell Gx150 or something, only trouble was, its fan werent the best so made a bit of noise and a decided i didnt need a 2nd box in the office.
Can also be done in a VM. Only difference is the host can't be a DHCP client of the VM gateway / router :) (and it must stay on ...).

SolMiester
25-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Can also be done in a VM. Only difference is the host can't be a DHCP client of the VM gateway / router :) (and it must stay on ...).

Yeah, Im trying to work out how I can get my internet out to the garage cleanly so I can put a HOST out there with such VMs as File server, mail, firewall\proxy etc....I have a number of 5 yr old servers I could use, I just dont want them inside the house for obvious reasons...

Zippity
25-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Deleted