PDA

View Full Version : Right Click on Start Menu

07-10-2001, 10:42 AM
How do I remove an unwanted shortcut from the menu that pops up when right clicking on 'Start'.

Also, how do I remove long ago deleted software from appearing in the Add/Remove Software list of available software to remove.

I'm running Windows 98

07-10-2001, 11:43 AM
It depends on which program as to where it store the association. One place to check is to open Regedit (Start / Run / Regedit) and go to My Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ CLASSES \ Directory \ shell, here all programs that are associated with file folders are stored. Since the Start menu is really just a folder in the windows directory it will pick up these associations as well. If you can't locate it try using find to locate the text string.

Other places to look for file and folder associations are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHan dlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandle rs

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandler s

To remove an old program entry in add / remove programs applet in the control panel you should try to uninstall it using the routine provided with the program.

If it has been deleted then you can do this manually using TweakUI or with Regedit.

To do this with regedit go to Start / Run / type regedit. Navigate to the uninstall entries, these are store at My Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software\ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

Delete the key containing the old program after backing it up first.

Note: Before making any registry changes you should make a back up of the registry first.

07-10-2001, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your help!