PDA

View Full Version : No dial tone on new modem

07-10-2001, 10:18 AM
My friend had an old internal modem which suddenly could not detect a dial tone. He decided to buy a new external modem and after installing has the same problem. The system can communicate with the modem, all the lines have been checked but still no dial tone can be detected. The modem clicks and then reports no dial tone. The internal modem also could be detected and communicated in the system but also no dial tone.

07-10-2001, 10:31 AM
The modem is not recognising the dial tone, this could occur if the pitch or pattern of tone is different or if you have any services such as call minder which modifies the tone.

Disable the dial tone check. Open the dial up networking folder, right click on your connection and click properties. Click the configure button then open the connection options tab. Un-check the box to check for dial tone before dialing. Press ok.

Try using your first modem, you will probably find it still works.

07-10-2001, 01:45 PM
Yes I had tried that but it didnt seem to make any difference.

07-10-2001, 03:55 PM
Silly questions dept.
Do you get dial tone on a phone plugged into that socket? From a phone plugged into the phone soccket on modem?
Have you tried another cable from modem to wall?

07-10-2001, 05:05 PM
If you have call waiting, ensure it is disabled - using *52 (i think?)

07-10-2001, 06:49 PM
First thing to check is the phone socket. Plug a phone in and make sure you get Dialtone. Also the dialtone should be a continuous hum, not a broken tone, and nice and clean sounding. Next, check the cable between the modem and the socket. Make sure you use a reverse wired cable. The 2 centre pins on the smaller modem plug are wired to the 2 outside pins on the Phone Socket Plug. (assuming it is a 4 Wire Plug not a 6 Wire Plug. In this case it would be one in from each end). The new modem should have come with a phone cable anyway, make sure you use this. If you still have no luck, them you may need to un-install and re-install DUN off your Windows CD. BTW, the Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Patch on the October PC World CD trashed my system so be very wary of it...