PDA

View Full Version : No Video

Happy Harry
22-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi Guys
I had a noisy fan on GeForce6600GT Video Card(PCI-E) Removed fan and end cap, lubed bearing and refitted,and now the Mobo(ASUSA8N.E) does not detect the video card. (fan is quiet now though)
I have tried changing to a PCI video card and get the same beep beep beep error Their is no onbard video on this Mobo and I don't have a spare PCI-E card that I can try. Any ideas on how to proceed at this stage as can't do antything without video.

Cheers
HH

Agent_24
22-05-2011, 04:35 PM
How many beeps do you actually get?

Happy Harry
22-05-2011, 07:17 PM
The beep is just one long beep, pause long beep, pause continually.
Having a play with RAM now.

Agent_24
22-05-2011, 07:28 PM
It could be RAM, do you know what brand your BIOS is? Phoenix\Award or AMI?

Video card is usually 8 beeps, at least for one of the brands.

pctek
23-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

dugimodo
23-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Does the graphics card have a power connector and did you connect it back up ?

Also any chance dirt got into the socket when you took the card out ? and I hope you earthed yourself and took anti-static precautions while working on the card ?

Try pulling it back out and reseating it, check if contacts need cleaning (plugging in and out cleans a little sometimes.

if none of that works you really need another card to test with or take it into a pc shop, without graphics you really have limited options

Agent_24
23-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Have you tried resetting the BIOS? It might be that the BIOS is looking for the PCI-E card even when you've put in a PCI card and it's not working.

Happy Harry
23-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the input one and all
After going back to basic specs and PCI video card it booted up, Then added HDD, it booted up, added DVD Drive and it errored. After more adding removing devices and then sudden flash of understanding and I replaced the power supply All is good.
Voltages measure fine with the defective p/s but have to assume that there is low current.
Thanks all
HH

Agent_24
23-05-2011, 06:10 PM
There's a good chance the PSU has bad capacitors causing the problem.