PDA

View Full Version : Securing USB Flash Drives

learning
22-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I know some if not most USB drives u buy these days come with a built in security software so you can password protect USB data contents.

Are there software for just ordinary flash drives that dont come with a password security feature that you can install on and make it secure?

I would prefer a free one. Someone mentioned using Win 7 to encrypt it.
But i dont know much about that and how its done. I will be using the drive on mostly XP and Win 7 OS as part of my daily usage of drive so whenever i plug it in , i will be prompted for password before accessing data on drive

Thanks

jareemon
22-05-2011, 08:44 AM
There are probably better ways than this, but you could use winrar and compress and password protect the files..

:pf1mobmini:

PinoyKiw
22-05-2011, 08:48 AM
TrueCrypt might be a option. You can create a secure folder or encrypt the whole drive. We use it, it is free and easy to use www.truecrypt.org/

learning
22-05-2011, 09:46 AM
TrueCrypt might be a option. You can create a secure folder or encrypt the whole drive. We use it, it is free and easy to use www.truecrypt.org/

Thanks. I will look into it

icow
22-05-2011, 09:55 AM
+1 for truecrypt

kahawai chaser
22-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Rohos mini drive (http://www.rohos.com/) can create hidden and encrypted drive, with a disc browser, for USB drive. Seems OK, after trying it and reviewing it for my blog.